The two main designers here that had supplied sailors and launch types in this country , and take a walk down most marinas you will see there boats are Wright and Pelin not for getting some others , young but production was minimal and these boats are holding up well today

The two main designers here that had supplied sailors and launch types in this country , and take a walk down most marinas you will see there boats are Wright and Pelin not for getting some others , young but production was minimal and these boats are holding up well today

And I reckon, if you look at the classic examples of their successful designs, and consider the target market of those boats at the time they were introduced to the market, I would argue those two designers skill was in reading what the market wanted, not in so much in naval architecture (like Farr, who built his reputation in race boats).

This is what the successful European production manufacturers are doing, reading the market and giving people what they want. Back in the day, people wanted an easily handled and affordable, yet seaworthy sailing yacht (Tracker), now they want 3 bedroom 2 bathroom portable bach, with some sailing ability...

Production of young boats was minimal? Most of the marinas in NZ are full of formula and vindex launches, which were young designs. Many and varied yachts too.

Extracted from the Yachting World link, this probably explains why the Pogo's are so popular, and can't be compared to a 3 bedroon 2 bathroom floating bach of any variety:

Remember, this is a 30 fter 

My infatuation with the Pogo 30 began within minutes of taking the helm. Despite the (now) light forecast and flat water, once out of the Odet River a 15-knot gust caught our sails and something remarkable happened: we started planing. We were close-reaching with white sails only – surely this was not possible?
Apparently it was – the wake separated cleanly from the transom as the boat lifted onto the surface. And as soon as the asymmetric popped open, we started planing almost non-stop. What a sensation!

It’s not so much the speed that creates the thrill – after all, she’s a small boat in a light breeze, so we’re talking single figures on the clock here. Rather, as owner Jean-Reno (JR) Riou points out, it is the sound – or lack of it.

While on the plane on a 30, everything goes delightfully quiet. It’s so relaxing. We spent most of our two days sailing in relative silence. The two crewmembers hardly had to do anything – the kite sheet was made off at the winch and I was simply helming to the luff.

“When we hit eight knots, the wake separates,” JR told me. “At 11 knots you get a whistle from the rudders and at 15 you hear the keel too.” Now that is something I would like to hear one day.

It says all you need to know about the 30’s performance that JR’s son, Yann, a member of the victorious Groupama Volvo team, showed little interest in sailing with his father until the arrival of the Pogo.

We pointed high with the kite (90–100° true) to maximise sea room, averaging eight to ten knots. But when we had to get back upwind, the experience remained distinctly pleasurable. With the maximum beam so far aft, I didn’t expect her to point, yet we averaged six knots and tacked in under 90°.