Lead Carbon House Batteries

Has anyone tried these new style lead acid batteries? They seem to bridge the gap between AGMs and Lithium, in that they have much more usable depth of discharge and lifespan (6000 cycles), while being compatible with normal charging systems (unlike Lithium). 

They are still heavy through!

Some of the brands I've found available here:

https://www.hiteksolar.co.nz/collections/solar-on-the-go/products/6v-300ah-lead-carbon-supercapacitor-lcs-pb-c-battery-latest-technology 

http://waveinverter.co.nz/deep-cycle-battery/Sealed-AGM/Lead-Carbon-200AH

https://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/product/7468-betta-lead-crystal-battery-12v-200ah

I looked at them when I was considering a home solar set up and thought they could be good for boats - the downside being slightly heavier (10%) than LA and slightly bigger but they do help bridge the gap to Lithium - would be good to hear from someone who has installed them on a boat

I commented about these sometime back. Can't remember when exactly. Maybe when KM was first looking at Batteries. Specifially the Firefly Oasis battery. Unfortunately, Firefly went belly up. I don't know why. But a new owner has started manufacturing them again in a limited amount. TasPac was the original importer into NZ.
The Lead/Carbon tech has some great advantages over standard Lead. Yes they are heavier and you can discharge far further than standard lead. I am shocked at the price though. Ouch! I guess they can't be a cheap item to freight into the Country.

Contact these guys for some prices
Awesome quality Japanese made batteries
Also try a google on the batteries and see who else sells this technology in NZ there are quite a few now and maybe the prices are becoming more competitive.

I commented about these sometime back. Can't remember when exactly. Maybe when KM was first looking at Batteries. Specifially the Firefly Oasis battery. Unfortunately, Firefly went belly up. I don't know why. But a new owner has started manufacturing them again in a limited amount. TasPac was the original importer into NZ.

The Lead/Carbon tech has some great advantages over standard Lead. Yes they are heavier and you can discharge far further than standard lead. I am shocked at the price though. Ouch! I guess they can't be a cheap item to freight into the Country.

Contact these guys for some prices

Awesome quality Japanese made batteries

Also try a google on the batteries and see who else sells this technology in NZ there are quite a few now and maybe the prices are becoming more competitive.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find Firefly in NZ.  So, you've explained now why I couldn't.  Pity, because I only read almost universal good press about their batteries online in many forums when I was doing research.

I also considered Hitek, who sell on Trademe - but too much of an unknown brand, so I went with standard AGM.

Note:   CNFJ series must be charged at a minimum of 30% of the C10 rated capacity in bulk phase. Refer to the product data sheet for detailed charging requirements.

30% of 200ahrs is 60A.   MINIMUM. in bulk phase!

Two in II = 120A. (?)Can't remember the math.

How many boats can sustain that off their shore power?

Or the alternator?

I realize bulk is reasonably short and declines on absorb phase but still.

So do you need 720watts of solar feed these? Single battery.

My alt will sustain 110A until the belt takes a holiday.  :wtf: 

Or the temp sensor down ratesit.

So I reckon you need to factor in some charging upgrades plus twice the price of FLA's to the 

budget. Could be spendy.

The Lusty and Blundell dudes were telling me this type of charge needs to happen about once a month for the battery to keep its performance.

I was thinking I could probably achieve it by running both engines and the generator running a 60amp charger at the same time. Once a month would be OK to have to do that.

I made a spreadsheet to map out cost vs usable capacity vs cycles. Replacing the current AGMs is still the cheapest option long term. I'm thinking I'll replace the AGMs and spend the difference on more solar to keep them topped up.

Expanded options with two engines aye!

Love your new ride.

Good to know the 0.3C thing is once a month.

presumably many users would charge often enough using shore power for this not to be a major?

No matter what Battery type you use, the Batteries themselves are only part of the overall system. There is no point in having a large bank of batteries if you cannot get the charge back into them in as quickly as possible. Even the age old FLA battery should be charged at a 20% current. They also should have an Equalisation charge once per month. So you need a high output alternator and charge regulator along with a decent shore power battery charger, if you want the best performance and life expectancy from the Bank.
And as an extra, it is not good to leave an FLA on float for extended time either. Like over Winter. A charger that can apply a load once per month and then charge again is best.
But all the above is expensive and top shelf gear to be able to do it and because FLA can also take a fair amount of abuse, few actually go to this level of equipment. With these latest Battery technologies, it becomes more essential to have the supporting equipment to keep them alive.