Westhaven rates to go up again

This change is reflective of constant improvements, ongoing marina maintenance and also continued high demand for berths at Westhaven. We are pleased to be able to continue offering berthage fees that remain competitive with other Auckland marinas.

Marina management spouting the "party" line.

In reality as a berth holder I receive year in and year out the same service.

Somewhere to park my princess along with access to freshwater and when the electrical nazis are not running amok a battery top up.

My question to you lot is at what point do you collectively say enough is enough. This constant ratcheting of marina fees is totally unjustified and Westhaven stating that the fees are competitive just adds weight to the glaring fact that one bloke owns three marinas and merrily rolls in the hay and they just tag along.

Actually the more I think about the cost of mooring in a marina and the so few players in the market so to speak a question or two to the Commerce Commission would not be a wasted effort.

Simply just not good enough.

When I read this, I’m pretty happy with the marina at my door. The GHMV marina rates went DOWN again this year :-)

I pay $2500 odd per year for a 15m berth. But you have to buy an apartment to get that!

Dispiriting I'm sure, and I sympathize. Still, as long as people choose to keep paying, that by itself proves that those people believe the value they're getting from the berth is worth what they're being charged. But I'm sure that won't make anyone feel better.

Isn't there a waiting list for 14 m berths at Westhaven?

Basic demand and supply, the longer the waiting list for berths, the greater than annual rates increases.

Dispiriting I'm sure, and I sympathize. Still, as long as people choose to keep paying, that by itself proves that those people believe the value they're getting from the berth is worth what they're being charged. But I'm sure that won't make anyone feel better.

That’s fully not true.

Obvious parallel is Air NZ domestic fares which are scandalous but those of us who use them have limited alternative choice hence do so reluctantly. Doesn’t mean we think it’s good value just because we fly with them.

They charge what they do because they can. Where else does one go? They have a captive audience so to speak.
I badly need to get my boat in the Marina, but have no show of affording it. It's a heck of a lot of money for a hole in the water.

You talking about the cost of the boat or the marina.  They are both holes in the water that you throw money at.

I agree that the constant cranking up of costs is OTT.  People are astounded when I tell them what it costs just to park.

That is why trailer boats are so popular (power boats) free parking on your property or the council curb.

Rich pricks must pay, so they say.

When I read this, I’m pretty happy with the marina at my door. The GHMV marina rates went DOWN again this year :-)

I pay $2500 odd per year for a 15m berth. But you have to buy an apartment to get that!

Hold on/ No way you are paying that to rent. You must own the berth , which for a 15m berth would have been a massive outlay, and your yearly rate is opex. Surely...

I get it, I must have missed the "apartment" bit .

Yes. But the berth is a licence to occupy, and is part of the house title. Appartments here are still stupid cheap (IMO) you can get one with a berth from about $800k. Mine is one of the small ones at 136sq m . Realistically, the berths are basically free, as local housing costs that anyway. That’s why we bought here.

I see our rental rates are about to go up again, with the Marina Operators Group are we seeing a sniff of the oil companies behaviour, very cosy..... nt

This has come up before.  How one guy is allowed to own three marina in the Auckland area is beyond belief.  Anticompetitive with a capital A.

Murdoch has a harder time trying to buy all the SKY UK media rights.

That’s fully not true.

Obvious parallel is Air NZ domestic fares which are scandalous but those of us who use them have limited alternative choice hence do so reluctantly. Doesn’t mean we think it’s good value just because we fly with them.

LOL it fully is true :) (and I fully expected someone to object - so thanks! :)). I didn't say it was *good* value - whatever that means to you personally, only that if you choose to make the payment, you have, by definition, demonstrated that you get sufficient value from the transaction that you're willing to enter into it. No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to own a boat, or to own a keelboat or to choose to keep it in a marina berth. Just like no one forces you to fly. It's perfectly feasible to get in a car and drive to your destination (or sometimes even decide that the trip really isn't so important that you have to spend that money). Yes, it's much less convenient, but that's the point. Flying provides a particular kind of value, and people keep buying those tickets because they choose the value of that service over doing something else with their time & money. Yes it can be painful. Sometimes life is. I'm all in favor of bitching about Westhaven. But we should keep things in perspective.

• Upvote 1

Yes. But the berth is a licence to occupy, and is part of the house title. Appartments here are still stupid cheap (IMO) you can get one with a berth from about $800k. Mine is one of the small ones at 136sq m . Realistically, the berths are basically free, as local housing costs that anyway. That’s why we bought here.

I looked again last night and the cheapest at the moment was $860K with a 12m berth (3br).  13m berth and 3 br was close to a mil, and for $1.35 and 4br you get a 16m berth.

Not exactly small change but the convenience factor is well up there.

What are the leaky building issues like?  Didn't part of the area up get renamed from Oyster cover to Moisture cove a few years back?

Yep, asking price at the moment $860 for the one listed in our block with a 12m. The larger berths are less common (2 in 10 on our side). There is another apartment here - the last one in our block that does not have a ccc and needs to have the repairs done, that would be in the 500s somewhere. The highest sale price has been $965k about a year ago.

These units were registered in the leaky buildings, but the issues were pretty minor - they are clay tile roofs and Tilt slab, so it’s only the ends. The main issue was the deck attachments on the balcony off the master bedroom. All units but 1 in our block of 12 have been repaired, and have cccs issued now and most had never leaked anyway - but once one was on the register, all had the be bought up to current building codes.

The current situation is that most banks won’t give a mortgage on these properties, until they are ALL issued CCC, which is why the prices are low. As I said one to go, repairs on that are supposed to start in a month or two. When completed, I expect the prices to reflect that....

Moisture cove is not this development, that’s up the road a bit.

We looked at buying a moisture cove apartment. They were seriously cheap a few years back. Remedial work had been done but the stigma remained. However this had no effect on rents. Thus I was looking at enormous yields.

Getting seriously off topic here, but....

Do you have body corp on top of the $2.5K IT?

And does anyone know what the price increases at w/h are going to be?

There several body corps around GH.IT is in one of the better ones. But by comparison we recently sold a couple of apartments close to his block and body Corp just under $6k with no berth. Add $2k rates and it is up there.

IT did make an interesting observation that his bc isn't a lot different to the cost of maintaining a freehold house. But it meant if he goes away cruising he knows the maintenance is being kept up.