Observation from the RaceTrack computer

Couldn't help but notice it seems to have been a year or so since I put in a small post of random observations on matters racing related.

Since I thought at the time I'd try and do something regularly, another quitck bunch of boservations below.  Some may even be true.  Perhaps my intent was to be a tiny bit more regular than 12 months but hey.

Anyway, first item.  Tempted as I am to claim I spend my days memorising the YNZ yacht register and regularly peruse it to spot new boats, well the truth is I was playing with a little script or two to do the thinking, finding and remembering for me.  I find more and more I need things to do thinking and remembering for me.

Anyway again, couldn't help but notice new additions which may be real or still only virtual boats,  First was a Farr CM 60 POSEIDON II, probably not quite there in a CC with the TP52s but then if it were upwind?

Speaking of upwind, not quite yet in the register but appearing in the RNZYS winter series someone now has a shiny not that new IMS Farr 49, Knee Deep' in from Aus.  Can't help wondering if I'm just getting old because I keep thinking it wasn't that long ago these were the latest all conquering toys. 

Also couldn't help but notice one, perhaps two XP38s appearing in the register.  There are many worse options for production imports than the X Yachts, and particularly the XPs, be good to see these out racing.

A bit like the X boats, not too many J boats around, feel free of course to debate as to whether that's to NZ sailings credit or their loss.  One of their more popular efforts of recent times is the J 88 and it would seem we may have one coming here, "Joie De Vivre III".  Whilst I appreciate many race secretaries will want to strangle anyone with a boat with a name so hard to spell or announce in a prize giving after the odd brew, being a 30ft owner myself and expecting a J88 to be competitive in that group, again be good if we do see one out.

Also noticed a BBW6.4 Fantail listed as residing in the Bay of Plenty, anyone know more?  I'm guessing it's one of a fleet of boats built in West Aus and now decided it really needed a higher class of neighbours than normally reside in the Australian deserts.

Speaking of BBW and boats wanting a better class of neighbour, it really would seem the last 12 months has been the year of the BBW import.  We've also had Clockwork, ex General Lee now back here racing, definitely an iconic boat and still rather swift.  Obi Wan, a 38 again from West Aus now resident in the BoI and of course from a year or two earlier, the mini 650 Black Hornet.

Also good to see 38 Special appear in the odd Richmond race and Riverwind doing the last Route 66.  Both been out of racing (that I've spotted) for many years.

On the topic of Auckland 30s, good to see the Thompson 850 Rapid Ride now racing out of Westhaven up from Christchurch.  Three T850s in the one marina, surely potential for a nationals there, or worlds, or something.

And what is it with this Sandspit place, the new hub of multihull racing?  As well as the much renowned Pulse, have noticed in the last year or so Sublime, 2 of 10, Taboo, This Way Up and Threefold all in the results.  Also a Seascape 24 in one, anyone know anything about her?

Should perhaps finish this woffle with an observation on clubs increasingly looking to combine events.

For the last few years, Gulf Harbou and Weiti have been running a combined winter series and I thinking some cruising.  Likewise Pine Harbour and BBYC with the King of the Straits in winter.  Now have the Westhaven Triple from Richmond, PCC and RNZYS and each year it looks like the Wellington clubs are cooperating more and more in their events.

Observation from mostly afar is it seems to be working.  In many cases the sum of the whole looks to be greater than the sum of the parts so to speak.  At least in my view, bigger fleets are a lot more interesting to race in than small groups and the combining of racing across clubs looks to be doing that.  I've often wondered if I were racing in fleets as small as four or five, if it'd keep my interest enough to keep me out there.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure I've seen that j88 in westhaven and it's in a yachtshare type arrangement which may mean it isn't likely to come racing.

38 special is also in westhaven and is looking great having just had a birthday in fng's shed. New keel included so should go better than it used to.

Interesting observations Markm, I hope you'll keep them coming.  Had noticed that Knee Deep recently too, and it was doing well in the Squadron race on Saturday (non-spinnaker division). Quite an impressive steering wheel!  Was she the Ragamuffin that won the Sydney Hobart in circa 2002?  Some photos of racing from Saturday attached, around the leeward mark. 

RNZYS 2018 05 19 (20).JPG

RNZYS 2018 05 19 (28).JPG

RNZYS 2018 05 19 (32).JPG

RNZYS 2018 05 19 (38).JPG

Couldn't help but notice it seems to have been a year or so since I put in a small post of random observations on matters racing related.

Since I thought at the time I'd try and do something regularly, another quitck bunch of boservations below.  Some may even be true.  Perhaps my intent was to be a tiny bit more regular than 12 months but hey.

And what is it with this Sandspit place, the new hub of multihull racing?  As well as the much renowned Pulse, have noticed in the last year or so Sublime, 2 of 10, Taboo, This Way Up and Threefold all in the results.  Also a Seascape 24 in one, anyone know anything about her?

Thanks for the nice words about Sandspit YC racing. Yes we have got a bunch of interesting multihulls racing up here, alongside a good little fleet of monohulls. Pretty relaxed social racing without yelling or stress!

The Seascape 24 is a nice little monohull you can see here: http://www.yachtingworld.com/boat-test/seascape-24-a-pocket-family-sports-cruiser-in-an-exciting-and-popular-sailing-niche-106190 

Also of note is Saturday Night Special, a 9m keel boat launched by her designer/builder Allan Roper, which is going well. 

Pulse still has good moments in the light, but there's many faster multihulls around Sandspit now to take line honours.

Keep up the Great Work Mark!

damn someone got a pic of the Freedom's wineglass.

That was well knotted !! ....and slow!

Interesting observations Markm, I hope you'll keep them coming.  Had noticed that Knee Deep recently too, and it was doing well in the Squadron race on Saturday (non-spinnaker division). Quite an impressive steering wheel!  Was she the Ragamuffin that won the Sydney Hobart in circa 2002?  Some photos of racing from Saturday attached, around the leeward mark. 

Always enjoy reading MarkM’s observations from the RaceTrack computer.
Our combined Gulf Harbour Yacht Club and Weiti Boating Club series have continued to see an increase in the number of boats sailing in these events. The summer two handed series had a record of 24 entries and we have 29 in our Winter series. Next season we have more combined cruising races in the calendar.
So your observation is correct. The bigger fleets are a lot more interesting to race in than a smaller group and more boats are joining the excellent racing the two clubs are putting on in ‘one of the best sailing waters’ in our region

• Upvote 1
Guest Saturday Night Special

Also new to Auckland is a Young 13 called The Black Pearl, which has come down from Kerikeri.

This used to belong to Tony Dalbeth who built the shaw 9 deep throtle