Musto - but HPX or MPX?

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new jacket and have settled on Musto after some reading. But the question is now one of HPX or MPX - both Ocean versions of the jacket.

Other than about $500 difference in price, I am wondering if I really need the HPX - most of my sailing is NZ coastal - and its pleasure sailing at that.

I don't intend to be going to the Auckland Islands. The coldest place I could possibly imagine I would ever go might be Fiordland but for the most part my Oceanic voyages will consist of heading north on the 1st of May towards Fiji as fast as possible.

We don't have a solid dodger - but do have a large solar array on the radar arch. 

Thoughts?

Hi

We have used HPX for some time and do go to the places you don’t. We have been happy with the gear but will replace with something lighter and not so expensive when time comes. Bad weather is a small percentage of sailing time and the HPX is heavy when worn for drizzle or spray protection. Hope this helps

Buy whatever you think will be good for NZ coastal. You'll hardly use real wet weather gear heading north, it's just too hot.

What will suit on a cruising boat really depends on the shelter in your cockpit, and the amount of work on deck that your boat requires.

I haven't used my wet weather gear on my boat for years! Since leaving Wellington...

Ive got HPX,  I rate it if you like going sailing in winter. Crappy gear like Gill works ok for a season, then its useless forever. That said its about the $$, I only got mine because it was a previous years model and I got a 1000 off.

Yeah - a quick google and I wrote off that Gill stuff fast.

$1000 off? Thats some serious discount.

I had musto, dont think it lasts well enough to watrant the price tag. Ive got some helly hansen ocean stuff from a few years ago, def prefer it to musto, but its getting old. Im in the market for some new gear before RNZ, will prob go with zhik or gill.

Not just Gil most of the coastal stuff leaks after a year.

We use these for when it's cold and wet really impressed. Still like new 18 months on. Bit of work to get on and off but very waterproof and warm. Have to be careful not to sweat in them though.

https://www.nzsailing.com/gul-drysuit-taw-u-zip-520796

I've seen those and have been eyeing them up. Price is better than just a jacket for the top name brands, and the drysuit aspect has to be a bonus when its wet and shitty out.

I've seen those and have been eyeing them up. Price is better than just a jacket for the top name brands, and the drysuit aspect has to be a bonus when its wet and shitty out.

Yes as I said we are pretty happy with them.

They are a bit to hot for the northern summer.

It was a revelation to still be warm and dry after crashing through waves and rain for two days in leg3 of the last RNI. Definately good to put on when things a looking cold wet and dark.

They have a handy flap when going for a pee but no2's are a bit more work. We ended up cutting the feet off ours so they slipped over our boots.

I've got Musto. I purchased the previous season's jacket on clearance from waveinn.com, and (touch wood) and it's currently on year 4 (racing 1-2 or more times per week) with no sign of weakening.

When I was ocean racing, most people had HPX. They all agreed it was amazing when things got really hairy, but somewhat overkill for everything else. I think you will be fine in MPX considering what you're looking to do. Maybe go and try it on at a chandlery and see?

This post has reminded me again that I need new bibs... Sigh. Goodbye, paycheck. I hardly knew thee.

Oh, and if you don't care about colour you can usually get white at a discount because it stains pretty much immediately.