iPad GPS

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice please, heading to Fiji, Vanuatu soon and have an older non GPS ipad2. Have downloaded Google Earth maps on and will run it through an iridium phone. Does anyone know if we can connect GPS to this iPad. Figure it would be a good extra to the Chartplotter.

Thanks.

They have wifi. If you have wifi on the boat instruments, they can broadcast the gps data, and the ipad can use it.

If not, you can load an app on your phone to share its gps data with the ipad, over Bluetooth or wifi.

Yes you can connect to GPS with an old ipad.  You need a bad elf gps. [www.bad-elf.com]. That will connect you to GPS Satellites and GLONAS. what type of connection does your ipad have? if its the old original wide connection, I have a bad-elf that will fit.

Go the simple route, get the model with the inbuilt GPS chip set, why have add on bits and pieces. I've used a IPad mini as back up for the last 3 coastal classics and the Garmin Blue chart cartography. There is a good selection now available for the cartography. Works well down below, not designed for use at the helm. Gives you a nice simple stand alone backup.

Preferred backup at the helm is a Garmin 78, fits nicely in the phone pocket of the wet weather gear, around 16 hours on 2 AA batteries.

Thanks for all the input guys. It's an old iPad with wide plug as a matter of interest. Anyway a simple resolution has been found, I am simply going to swap iPads with my son for the trip, his is flasher and GPS equipped. He is doing part of the trip with us so can make sure it works for me!

Thanks again.

One of the greatest aids to navigation in recent history is google earth with your position plotted on it.  Not so critical here but in the islands its a fantastic way of seeing how a reef structure works. So an Ipad or tablet with that on it is well worth the price of admission.

20170703_104716.jpg