I resisted a lot of really bad jokes for the title...

So, I posted about this last year (http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/14945-reinforcing-mast-base/) and promised everyone it was the next thing on my list to repair, and here I am making good on that promise, 7 months later...

To recap quickly: my mast has compressed the spine of my kauri boat and is modelling itself after the leaning tower of Pisa. It makes for interesting pointing.

I got a lot of great advice in my last thread and have opted to cut out the compressed wood and replace with a new piece.

But... I don't know where I can source the piece of hardwood from. Its dimensions are 25x140mm and I'm guessing anything over 500mm in length will do? (pic in the original thread; obligatory, "metric system is hard, base-12 measurements for life, USA-USA-USA," goes here).

I've found a couple websites for wood recyclers (kauri warehouse was one), which I'd be happy to use if it will work. No qualms about buying new; I just like recycling :) New or used, I'm not 100% sure where to purchase the materials and would appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks!

Lizaloni

Are you in New Zealand??

Try and find some Eucalyptus, bluegums such as saligna or botrioides would do. Alternative is River red gum,  or spotted gum.

Can sometimes get this as decking timber at Bunnings, Mitre 10 etc

Could also use tropical hardwood also sold as decking.

just machine the grooved side flat and laminate with epoxy to get the required thickness. coat with epoxy for protection.

Don't use Kauri, it is too soft.

NZ timbers such as Matai or even heart Rimu would also do. Can sometimes be found in house recyclers yards.

Tb

Jarrah was my first thought too. Go to Rosenfeld and Kitson and select  a bit. Mt wellington. Perhaps a call to a wooden  boatbuilder to ask about grain orientation. My gut feeling is just flat sawn but I'm not sure, maybe quarter might be better . I don't know the answer on that. It might not matter.

Once you know that its not difficult , you want timber you can get the length you need out of without knots or flaws, shakes/ splits.

I resisted a lot of really bad jokes for the title...

"metric system is hard, base-12 measurements for life, USA-USA-USA," goes here).

What is this 'base-12 measurements'? I've never heard of it, I've only ever lived and worked in developed countries...

Next you'll be talking about foot pounds per gallon or some such nonsense  ;-)

Second hand stores often have old oak or mahogany furniture that is past its best-before date. the front of an old drawer in oak might work (check it's not veneered...). Inorganic collection BBQ or outdoor furniture might also yield something.

Perhaps a call to a wooden  boatbuilder to ask about grain orientation. My gut feeling is just flat sawn but I'm not sure, maybe quarter might be better . I don't know the answer on that. It might not matter.

I think I'd be tempted to go for quarter or rift sawn, primarily for dimensional balance. MCN Shipwrights (Hellensville) will likely have a small piece of suitable wood somewhere.

Also, I assume that the old mast step is not an integral part of the keel piece? But rather a thickening or extra piece sitting on top of the keel piece? If it's part of the keel piece integrally, then you might want to consider scarfing the new piece in to avoid weak spots at each end of your mast step where it joins the keel piece.

Yes quite a few down here I planted all mine and one is about 10 M after 20 years so faster growth than expected plus we are only 50m from the sea. Used to put seaweed juice on everything but stuff just went nuts.