Is this Guy nuts?

I think his earlier boat was better. Getting a good clip of speed on for the wind and much more stable. This current one, I think he will feel like washing on a spin cycle in any decent Sea state.
I am more concerned by the Sails and rigging though. They do not look sturdy enough. Also a better version on the earlier boat.
Can any of you imagine MNZ if he was trying to do this from NZ the other way. They would be having Kittens. I doub't they would be letting him down the street, let alone out the harbour

I have met this guy. Being an oddball is what he likes to do. It is his trade mark. He even changed his name to reflect this.

Back in the 1970s he actually did som serious sailing in a 20' boat he had built in his mother's basement.

Just found his web: http://46.28.145.175/?page_id=4593

This nice cold-molded little thing with poor stability took him to the south atlantic and to fame. (His web claims Bris was his first boat but there was a small steel ship convterted to sailboat called Duga before that. I guess he is not keen on reminding the world about that boat as it sank -- to get insurance money I have been told by someone who was there.)

Then followed the usual talk tour of boat clubs, well publicised boat and sailing projects most of which were not executed yet he was known as the long-distance sailer of Sweden. (I had a friend back then who built several boats and sailed them across the atlantic with them without making a media fuss about it.)

While I was building my boat in the mid-80s, Sven was in the middle of one of his projects. He worried a lot about being hit by a mechant wessel so he wanted to design a 5-ish m long sailboat that could survive this. Trying to convince him that even if the boat would survive he wouldn't was a waste of your time.

Anyway, this guy is harmless.

(Disclaimer: I have not had time to read all post above so my contribution may be out of tune with the thread...)

/Martin

good that he has the tracker

the sea egg made it 3/4 round

before disappearing in the tasman

In 1968, John Riding’s book, ‘The Voyage of the Sea Egg’ was published by Pelham Books, UK. It gave an account of his adventuresome single-handed voyage aboard a 12’ micro-yacht across the Atlantic from France to New York. Later, Riding wrote a sequel, ‘Sea Egg Again: From Atlantic to Pacific’, describing his follow-on cruise southwards along the American coastline to the Panama Canal and into the Pacific, before heading northwards to Mexico. Departing from San Diego, he made the extraordinary crossing of the Pacific to New Zealand, effectively sailing halfway around the World.

Very little is known about what happened to the intrepid long-distance sailor and his tiny yacht after sailing from Kawau Island, on the NE coast of New Zealand’s North Island, in 1973. He expected the crossing of the Tasman Sea would take about 66 days, but he never arrived at Sydney, Australia, and in due time, he was declared, ‘lost at sea’. No trace of the vessel has ever been found.

sea_egg_aground.jpg

Crikey , if he reckons the boat is a bit wobbly now he will know all about the lack of stability when and if he ever gets into the liquid Himalayas.

Sill he has a bit of a rattle on and the 1.6 kn average may climb further.

Like the comment about how things  below are getting pretty rank.

Nah, just figured out that he can make more rapid progress with a beam on approach to both sea and wind.

More interesting and entertaining than the Volvo and the Tasman Kayak combined.

Native he may well be nuts but he is no dullard who can only be of harm to himself and he is giving it a crack plus some.

Native he may well be nuts but he is no dullard who can only be of harm to himself and he is giving it a crack plus some.

I'm getting mixed up,

Are you talking about Andy Fagan, or the guy in the floating coffin?

Both.

The old fulla is not measuring his journeys success in terms of returning to home port in fact getting anywhere apart from the initial launch site seems to be his speciality.

Andrew has crossed the Tasman and ventured to the Auckland Islands and back.

I am sure he is focused on returning to a home port but both endeavours In my view are just plain foolhardy.

Search and rescue will get some unnecessary skill and resource tests and all for what exactly.

This race to the bottom is just plain self indulgent idiocy but each to his own.

What was Andrew McCaulys last communique “ I have fallen into the sea my craft is sinking I need a rescue”.

He was weeping when he left Australia and he left a weeping widow draped over his salvaged empty craft.

You may well say but he died doing what he loved, sure as hell he wasn’t thinking that in his last lonely moments at sea.

To me, that's the mindset that divides eccentric from insane. He went and tried, Found issues and rather than push on he made the call to go back and start over. Not an easy choice to make