Recommendation for Diver at Westhaven

Yup, the diver issue joins many that continue to surface at the facility.

You can still wipe your own bum but that will most probably join the list of lost causes if it has not already.

Costs of berths, parking ,power compliance and wildlife risks...what next.

One of my pet rants is how the Piedy fleet are consigned to the tidal vagrancies of the Milford Marina and risky swing moorings whilst the whopper stink pot sales berth dominates a prime corner of the facility.

The mullet boats rightly get pride of place but the single largest and cheapest feeder design for the young of us to get out sailing in your own or your mates boat is totally ignored.

• Upvote 1

Piles are going in the bin soon and how many youngsters have got the coin to pay the fees ,not many if any. Hence the popularity of Milford etc.

Resources will be further stretched when Okahu Bay becomes mooring free.

My point is that yachting is a sport and the Piedy is where many young people from all backgrounds start a life long passionate exciting journey.

Lets not for the lust of a few roubles create a sea of difficulty for others that want to go where we have been.

Apologies for the thread drift...

• Upvote 1

There was a chap from the Richmond yacht club who transformed himself into a hull cleaner for friends from time to time.

That young fella had a face to face discussion with the leopard seal while cleaning the boat he was to race on in the afternoon and it was politely pointed out by the leopard seal that Westhaven was its domain. 

You can still wipe your own bum but that will most probably join the list of lost causes if it has not already.

Though since you mention that, the lack of facilities to wipe your own bum is actually the rationale Westhaven give for not allowing liveaboards.

3 hours ago, twisty said:

Hi Just to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know of options for cleaning boats in westhaven. I'm on the piles which makes it more awkward. Obviously I know about the FD

I spoke to my guy.  You would need to provide transport for the dive team (3pax) including tanks etc and work in with their schedule and be ready when they rock up at the end of the dinghy pier.  The dinghy would need to be safe and meet there H&S rules...

He said, it would probably end up being about the same price as the floating dock when all said and done...

Let me know if you want details.

The guys at FD are great.  And its not a complaint against them.  But the actual time you spend high and dry on the FD is only about 20mins. Its only time enough for a quick once over waterblast.   

Depending on your draft, perhaps go to a bay like at Motuihe Island.  On an incoming tide nudge up until your keel touches the sand.  Anchor up. Jump overboard. Spend 20 mins cleaning as best you can. Then you've earned yourself a beer.