Cruising Vanuatu and New Cal

Ok, I’ve cruised from the Americans through to Fiji, done deliveries west of that but never cruised.

We are looking at a 2 or 3 month trip next winter then the next big trip will be the Astrales Is then up to FP followed by across to Tonga and back to NZ

The question is should we do Vanuatu and New Cal, heard good and bad about both but what can you that have done it tell us, or should we just go back to Vava’u and chill

Thanks

Jon

Yes we think you should do Vanuatu and New Cal next season. Just hang the water hose over the side as we will need a big white water tanker near us next season.

I spent a few days at the marina in noumea 2 years ago and one of the local sailors told us that once you get more than about 40 miles away from noumea you pretty much have the lagoon to yourself, with very few boats around.

No problem Pete

BP, that’s interesting as most go the other way, or is it most come from Fiji so do Vanuatu first ?

I’ve heard that there aren’t a lot of good anchorages in Vanuatu, but love to hear otherwise

There are lots of good anchorages in Vanuatu, and I highly recommend it. Go up the volcano - Tanna. Ambryn, Ambae and Pentecost (origin of bungy jumping here, called land diving). If you dive, you have to do the president Coolidge, and million dollar point. Also visit oyster island, and take your dingy up the river to the blue pools spring. There is an electronic cruising guide for the area - get it!

From Fiji, the obvious route is Vanuatu then New Cal. It’s only a few days between the island nations, an in the trade wind zone. It’s not hard sailing.

One other thing do you have to pay a bond in New Cal as you do in French Poly, I think I had to put up 1000 euros equivalent unless you were flying out. I got it all back when I departed but have heard that may just buy a refundable airfare out

Assuming NC is the same as Tahiti, when I was there that refundable bond was payable per person. In fact I think i saw booboo recently posted on Facebook that it's now $10,000 per person. Makes a refundable airfare more appealing.

The 10k booboo was talking about was for the seven on board not per person unless it’s gone up seven times in the last few years

I was the only one that stayed on board our boat through FP and paid about $1500nzd but got it back on clearing out.

I’d also considered buying a refundable ticket but then they said I’d need to pay a bond for the boat so for just myself it was easier to pay the bond

Next time we go up I’ll do the same.

Unless it has changed recently there is no bond for New Cal. A great place to go. Good temperatures nice anchorages. Isle de Pin is beautiful as is Ouvea in the Loyalties. Easy sail to Vanuatu. Santo Island has some great beaches. Lots of anchorages in Vanuatu. But a month stay costs a bit as far as I remember but definitely worth it. If you want to get away from the tourist horde as in Fiji. Vanuatu North from Villa is the place to go. And Tanna is worth a visit all on its own. But If you want to just laze around in resorts dont go to Vanuatu.

AFAIK, if you're an EU citizen you don't need to pay the bond.

That’s correct

But if your a peasant from down here you do.

I had to even though my great, great ,great grandfather was the first non Polynésie born in O’tahiti as it was called in the year 1800

Unless it has changed recently there is no bond for New Cal. A great place to go. Good temperatures nice anchorages. Isle de Pin is beautiful as is Ouvea in the Loyalties. Easy sail to Vanuatu. Santo Island has some great beaches. Lots of anchorages in Vanuatu. But a month stay costs a bit as far as I remember but definitely worth it. If you want to get away from the tourist horde as in Fiji. Vanuatu North from Villa is the place to go. And Tanna is worth a visit all on its own. But If you want to just laze around in resorts dont go to Vanuatu.

We only do the resort thing when wait for a new mast, otherwise we like to be the only boat in a bay with no sign of western culture

Think we will leave about this time next year for New Cal and the loyalties, back September ish

Save Vanuatu for another trip, if you rush these things then it’s not cruising