"Pool Table" antifoul.

A new neighbour, awesome 41 foot cutter with stick on antifoul moved in next door. A fair bit has peeled and some barnies on it but otherwise clean. Has been water blasted when the pic was taken. The owner Wade said shes been in the water at Opua since December last year. Heard of this stuff but never seen it before. Looks like the felt on a pool table.

20180716_153138.jpg

It is MPSNZ. The picture on their website is Wades yacht.

https://www.nzmps.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/20171029_165049-1.jpg

Exciting stuff! Essentially its worked but I think the fibres need to be longer? Seems growth can still get a bit of a foothold but when you consider she sat in barnie soup off Opua since last december, thats not bad! The propspeed gives a indication of the level of fouling.

FILE0060.JPG

FILE0059.JPG

If it has a felt-like surface, what does that do to drag?

I'd imagine it behaves the same way, hydrodynamically, as about 3 months worth of slime on a hard painted hull...

Just asked, no noticeable loss of speed. Maybe like fish skin it sets up eddies? I did notice when hauling out before water blasting she was brown with slime and they had just sailed down from the BoI.