Cat in heavy weather

I've been in 35+ in a Catana 43 and it felt a lot scarier at the time than what this looks. Mind you we weren't going downwind and it was night time with driving rain.

Others may have more expertise on this, but apart from the wind speed the sea state here doesn't look force 10 to me. NOAA's definition is "Very high waves (29-41 ft) with overhanging crests, sea white with densely blown foam"

380nm in 48hrs not quick

Our 20t leadmine passed a few of these coming back from Europe

We took a day less on the Galapagos to Maquasas than one of these doing the world arc

Interesting. I thought they did not really seem to be aware that they were pushing the boat pretty hard. The bows were pressed down fairly deep, on several occasions and all they needed for a disaster was a larger, steeper wave....

Running before 50 knots, no harnesses on deck, no storm preparation and they knew what they were sailing into. Who leaves port and deliberately sails out into 50 knots??? Agreed the sea state was not too bad for the wind speed - limited duration of the storm, or fetch maybe.

This is a cruising vessel, with cruising sailors, who to me don't seem fully aware.

The issue with all this is that in any boat, it can go from all good, to all bad, in one wave. At their 20 knots +, all it takes is to bury the bows deep......

• Upvote 2

good points IT . I'm guessing The layout/ease use of the boat is lulling them into a false sense of security , kind of virtual reality sailing from the sofa . also going downwind with little wind across decks can create a disconnect from the gravity of the situation . They wouldn't be smiling if they had to heave to for reefing or dropping the main in 50 knots

Looked like a dream run to me, 50 knots is easy if you are running with it and don't have to much rag up. Yes the bows were pressed a bit wounder how deep reefed the were. They could have gone bare poles if the wind kept increasing. But as those cats are usually fully battened mains might not have been easy to get down.

The waves were fairly small suggesting they were reasonably close to land .

• Upvote 1

Whatever, its up to each skipper to manage risk and if you happen to comfortable in pushing a cruising multi downhill in those conditions then good for you. 

Hmm don't remember saying that. Off your meds today?

Yep. The clip Priscilla posted is harsher conditions being managed better, IMO. Looks like a series drogue be used to Great effect.

Play the topic guys, not the posters. Some of the posts above are marginal. Chill out.

The issue as I see it is how many actually realise where the edge is for them and their boat. As I said, it goes from all good to all bad virtually instantly in these conditions.

IMO the first boat is near that edge, the 2nd video is being well managed.

For someone used to a raked bow I imagine the Lagoon would look close to the edge but I don't think it was. It is a 50ft plus boat with plumb bows. The waves weren't big enough to lift the stern much and the speeds in the glimpses of the nav gear weren't very high.

Our boat (not a multihull) with plumb bow has water over the front pretty much constantly once we get over about 13 knots, even in flat water.

bow water (Medium).JPG

Correct there Kevin, no sign of a drogue of any sort apart from the warp streamed and no sail out so just motoring.

Not sure that would be my choice but they certainly were not looking stressed.

I have no experience running off in a sea like that in a catamaran but it is bloody uncomfortable in a mono especially when you get pooped and flooded below as Susie Goodall in the GGR recently found out in far lesser conditions.

Be bloody bedlam if the sea crested and then broke all over you but maybe the multi would just float on top of it all.

Andrew Fagan describes Swirly being shunted sideways for a kilometre or so in just the foam.

Bloody nora.