Altex Fail

3 coats of #5 applied in Feb- about $600. Now some 2" long barnacles in the shade near stern!! (Lyttelton) How bloody useless is Altex. Failed to get back to me today. Never again!

3 coats sprayed October 2016. First wipe by divers last month and still mint 21 months later....

Going to delay haul-out til Autumn 2019 on that basis. Boat gets used a lot and lives at Westhaven.

Pretty much the same experience as I had 2014 - 2016 so why the wildly different results?

I know Opua is bad for barnacles perhaps Lyttelton as well?

Bought at Burnsco. ( also bought a tin of green that just would not stir out properly that Altex replaced- then see a tin of green on Bornsco's specials table)

Whats the substrate of the hull below the waterline? Glass? Racing smooth or a bit of cruising texture...?

If its too rough (and it doesn't take much) it gives the little buggers the ability to get a 'mechanical hold' like a climbers fingers in a hole.

I have had a superb run out of #5 and look after a couple of +65 foot displacement launches on it that are also getting 2-3 years also so I'm kinda surprised.

Altex number five is a soft ablative antifoul...your boat needs to be used as it wears or erodes in use. If your boat is stationary all the time, in no current and little water movement it won't self clean. It isn't a good idea to wipe number 5 down either as you wipe the layer off which does the work...you will shorten its functional life considerably. If you want an antifoul that is then cleaned regularly by diver or other means then you need to move something harder.