Platino report finally out

Would I have gone to sea on that boat with that captain? Absolutely not.

I interviewed quite a few captains before I crewed across the Pacific a few years ago. Most of them were crap.

I'd be enormously happy if MNZ insisted on better licensing for captains from powered dinghies up.

I'd be enormously happy if MNZ insisted on proper SOPs and briefing.

I insist my guests read my safety card and we go over it before setting sail (my life depends on it too).

https://kmccready.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/storm-fantasy-sailing-yacht-safety-card/

NZ safety culture is waaaaayyy behind the rest of the world.

Good grief! Are you one of those people that burn your lips on coffee and blame the barista for not warning you it’s hot?

I’m all about safety too, but not about some pointy head telling me whether or not I can drive my boat or relying on a check list to tell or others what to do. I’d much rather prepare well and rely on common sense and adaptability. Safety is mostly attitude, not regulations.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good grief! Are you one of those people that burn your lips on coffee and blame the barista for not warning you it’s hot?   I’m all about safety too, but not about some pointy head telling me whethe

One thing I've learned  from sailing experience, which is quite a while, is don't judge what should or shouldn't have been done unless you were there. You didn't experience the terror or horror ,cold,

Try writing a manual that will accurately cope with all situations at sea.  Basically, line 1 of the manual would say "Gain enough experience so you don't need this manual".

Posted Images

I knew Nick Saull, I am still shocked at his loss. I am moved with Jans statement: Ms Saull said the family welcomes changes to the offshore Safety Regulations, "in the hope that the lessons learned from this tragedy will ensure others do not have to go through the horrific time that we and Steve's family have endured."
Newshub.

I learned that a preventor should be strong enough to withstand a crash gybe. I have never used one and thought they only needed to hold the boom back when surfing down waves. Makes sense that it is strong enough to hold the boom back in a crash gybe and  checked as part of cat 1, 2 and 3. In my opinion this will be easy, cheap and will prevent many accidents in future. 

Not so sure about totally preventing the boom from crossing during a crash gybe.

Better to rig a device that will control the speed and force like the Capt Don arrangement.

As BP stated earlier the force just gets transferred elsewhere and if the boom brake is attached say to the shroud base you had bloody well make sure they can cope with the subsequent side loads which in the case of that whopper cything boom on the Platino would have been massive and very destructive.

In 40knts I would not lock my boom in any position. I would however have a drag device fitted to it so if we did crash gybe the boom would swap sides and not be held to windward potential causing all manner of grief.

We lost it down the coast of Aussie and were left with a boom pointing at the sky with sail full of wind. The steering struggled big time to counter that wind filled mainsail. It wasn't until a knife was put thru the string holding the boom out did we get control of the boat back...and a fecking big crash as the boom swapped sides.

What I do is find a big shackle (I'll often take a large 16-20mm stainless bow just for it) and fix that to the top of the vang area. Tie a strong braid (I like a 12mm ish hi strength core type) to a chain plate take it up to the shackle, wind it around that a number of times** then down to the other chain plate +/-.

+/- means there abouts as long as it's strong.

** - the number of turns will dictate how fast that shackle will be allowed to slide along the rope. Not enough and it will come fast, too many and it may not come at all. Get it right and the boom will swap sides in a controlled to semi-controlled manner should you crash gybe.

I used the same system thru 65kts plus straight up the bum bringing a boat back from the Pac Islands. Mostly virgin crew and one did lose it in the early hours (manual steering due to AP failure), it was not pleasant but it wasn't a crew or boat braking experiance. The drag also made it quite safe to get the boom back on the right side, no more than a evil not braked gybe.

I even fitted the same set up to the 930 during a bit of a ruffy back from the Bay of Islands. Took 5 minutes and gave a bit of peace of mind.

Cheap, simple and with a little fiddling to get the turns right, highly effective.

There are a range of commercially made products that do the same thing.

Got a photo for those scratching their head IT?  I mention them a fair bit but most need a picture :)

Good to know you have them, I didn't know that so you will be handy to aim people at.

In 40knts I would not lock my boom in any position. I would however have a drag device fitted to it so if we did crash gybe the boom would swap sides and not be held to windward potential causing all manner of grief.

We lost it down the coast of Aussie and were left with a boom pointing at the sky with sail full of wind. The steering struggled big time to counter that wind filled mainsail. It wasn't until a knife was put thru the string holding the boom out did we get control of the boat back...and a fecking big crash as the boom swapped sides.

What I do is find a big shackle (I'll often take a large 16-20mm stainless bow just for it) and fix that to the top of the vang area. Tie a strong braid (I like a 12mm ish hi strength core type) to a chain plate take it up to the shackle, wind it around that a number of times** then down to the other chain plate +/-.

+/- means there abouts as long as it's strong.

** - the number of turns will dictate how fast that shackle will be allowed to slide along the rope. Not enough and it will come fast, too many and it may not come at all. Get it right and the boom will swap sides in a controlled to semi-controlled manner should you crash gybe.

I used the same system thru 65kts plus straight up the bum bringing a boat back from the Pac Islands. Mostly virgin crew and one did lose it in the early hours (manual steering due to AP failure), it was not pleasant but it wasn't a crew or boat braking experiance. The drag also made it quite safe to get the boom back on the right side, no more than a evil not braked gybe.

I even fitted the same set up to the 930 during a bit of a ruffy back from the Bay of Islands. Took 5 minutes and gave a bit of peace of mind.

Cheap, simple and with a little fiddling to get the turns right, highly effective.

There are a range of commercially made products that do the same thing.

Great method KM, light, cheap and very practical

There are many such boom brakes available but in my view costly and unnecessary.

Try out a simple system first as I mentioned and you can add a 2:1 purchase in the line with a tail that runs back to the cockpit for tension control.

A quick google will throw up examples.

The beauty of a simple system is that it can sit idle at the mast base until the boom requires taming.

Got a photo for those scratching their head IT?  I mention them a fair bit but most need a picture :)

Good to know you have them, I didn't know that so you will be handy to aim people at.

Dutchman.jpg

There you go. The T handle adjusts resistance. There are models for rigid and soft vang/kicker vessels...