White Island Race

More two handed than fully crewed??

After spending week after week organising crew for races (full time HR consultant) and completing paperwork for entries I am starting to see the empirical wisdom and genius of two-handed sailing.

I can't wait for this race. I've not done it before and it's going to be a great challenge.

I was thinking too that it's not just great that there is such a good number of two-handed entries for the White Island, but it will be a quality fleet too.

Sat phones are tight, but I've just managed to book one :D :D

Believe the place I got mine from has one left, PM me if anyone wants their details.

Just filling out my entry form, will be going fully crewed.

Just been to a meeting at RAYC and found out that there are only a handful of official White Island entries at this point. There are only a couple of weeks until this race starts for the 2 handed division on Thursday 25th November at 1900. The race does satisfty the qualifying miles requirement for the RNI. That aside it's a damn good race - nice length, good tactical challenges, a feel for open ocean sailing (you can get reasonable offshore), it only takes a long weekend to complete, and best of all you get to sail around an active volcano! Mr Roosevelt is entered and looking forward to a big two handed fleet to sail with. See you all on the start line. :D

hmmm how about next year trying the idea of starting all the boats at the same time on the same day and hopefully there might be a bit more interest in one of the best races around.

Worth a shot with so little interest this year. I'd enter.

I have done the last few and had some good sailing especially the rides to cuvier but I think the guys who started thurday last year probably had the rides of their lives.

yip ....oracle should be in this year....2 handed.....

and yes last year starting on thursday,....we really did have the ride of our lives after cuvier....down to white island in a little over 6 hours..... thats 90nm .......average around 14 knots....!!! 35 -40 knots wind at 140 twa....sweet ...pity our rudder broke in half on the return trip.....

Entries close at the end of this week for White Island race. If you are thinking about racing now is the time to get the paper work completed and into RAYC. See you on the start line :D

Have a feeling it'll be a front boats sort of a race so I'd be thinking Overload for line and her, Gale Force and Coppelia scrapping out for the top spots.

Could very easily pan out to be a small boats race without tmuch change to the forecasts though, I'd put a lot of effort into Thursday night / Friday because Saturday looks like a real good day for a nap.

The real question though is will half the fleet pull out or will RNI qualifying bring out the stubborn in people?

Archived