Richmond Yacht Club Single Handed Series

Organisation is well underway for this years single handed series. Vinings  Marine Brokers and Kiwi Yachting have both confirmed as series sponsors and the participating clubs; Richmond Yacht Club, Ponsonby Cruising Club, Devonport Yacht Club and Bucklands Beach Yacht Club, have set the dates. The opening weekend will be 6 & 7 October . There will be an open division and a no extras division.

This is New Zealand's Premiere Single Handed Series and it's on our doorstep being sailed in our  beautiful Hauraki Gulf.

Solo Weekend

6-7th October 2018.

Starting and Finishing Boat will be the PCC's Watchman.

It will be a mass start for both divisions.

Standard 5,4,1,0 starts will apply.

Division Flag will be White (extras) & yellow (non-extras).

Preparatory Flag will be U (Rule 30.3 will apply)

Individual and General Recalls will be used if required.

Saturday 6 Oct Start 10.00AM

Course 1 - Saturday 6 Oct. Start 10.00AM Orakei.

Div 1 (Extras) Course - Orakei start -Orapapa Is(S), Motuihi Is. (S) North Leading Yellow (P) to finish between Motukorea Yellow and finish boat (S) 

(32 miles approx)

Div 2(Non extras) Course - Orakei start -Motutapu Is. (S), Motuihi Is. (S), North Leading Yellow (P,) to finish between Motukorea Yellow and finish boat (S). 

(27 miles approx)

Boats then make their way to BBYC where parking will be sorted. Leg 1 results plus smack talking will be in the BBYC Clubhouse once all boats are in and tidy. When parking please remember there are more boats than just you.

Sunday 7 Oct Start 10.00AM

Div 1 Start Motukorea Yellow (P) and start boat - Browns Is (S), Browns Is Navy Buoy Yellow (P), Rocky Bay Yellow (P), Motuihe Yellow (P) to finish between Westhave Tower and the ODM.

(Approx 28 mile)

Div 2 Start Motukorea Yellow (P) and start boat - Browns Is (S), Rocky Bay Yellow (P), Motuihe Yellow (P) to finish between Westhave Tower and the ODM.

(Approx 27 miles)

Prize Giving in the PCC Clubhouse 60 minutes after the last boat finishes.

ALL SKIPPERS ARE REMINDED TO WEAR BUOYANCY AIDS AND REMEMBER THEY HAVE NO ONE ONBOARD TO BRING THE BOAT BACK TO THEM.

The Race Officer for the day will be Grant Macduff who can be contacted on 0274 789 145. If you withdraw or need to for any reason please send a simple txt saying 'I am out, I am OK and we are heading to ****' will stop huge stress and SAR being activated. If you are experience difficulties again, better the RO knows than not so he can monitor you so TXT if required. Please do not make the Race team have to come looking for you, they maybe dealing with another boat at the time so they will be very grumpy, safety first people.

VHF channel used will be 77.

Solo Weekend

Change to Sailing Instructions

Issued - 2 Oct 2018 1100am

Was -

Preparatory Flag will be U (Rule 30.3 will apply)

Has been changed to -

Preparatory Flag will be I (Rule 30.1 will apply)

i.png

30 - STARTING PENALTIES

30.1 - I Flag Rule

If flag I has been displayed, and any part of a boat's hull, crew or equipment is on the course side of the starting line or one of its extensions during the last minute before her starting signal, she shall sail across an extension to the pre-start side before starting.

Rational -

We have a fleet of Solo's who have their hands full. We do not need one having issues on the startline with a pile more solos trying to dodge them. Using this rule is designed to keep the line clear and not have boats trying to come back into the starting fleet. Rule 30.3 was deemed a bit harsh so we have changed to 30.1.

Thanks to Grant and the Pons and Amare Ropes and Chains Ropes and Anchors for a fantastic weekend of solo racing. Light and fickle the wind made winners of those who stuck to it. The fleet enjoyed a night of camaraderie at BBYC before racing home again on Sunday. Once again the wind was light and rewarded those with patience. Congratulations to Andy on Clandestine Jet for taking out the open division and to Bryon in the no-extras. If you want to join in the fun you can still enter the series at RYC. 

This years fleet has changed a little with more 35+' entered.

R3 was a ryc one on a Sunday afternoon a week or so back. Sunny and a nearly 10kn Westerly.

Gale force was not racing with prep work for rnz taking priority.

I've only seen the ryc club race results for the day (which differ from the series ones as they include all the boats there that day not just series entries).

Atamai got line in the no extras, I pipped him on handicap after he had some bad luck at the start with a backmarker from the previous division.

Crocodile took the double if memory serves in the extras. Katana sailed a different course so withdrew.