Handicaps and how they work

boots

handicaps are rubbish - no matter how you "calculate" them.

solution for KM:

buy a class boat (from a class that hasn't been barstardised...) and raise the middle finger at the handicapper.

lots of competitive 8Y8's on the market...

Handicaps and how they work? Check out RYC winter A div after the first race the first 2 on corrected their TCF went down but the 3rd boat on corrected their TCF went up!!?? The 6th boat on corrected their TCF went down more than the boat 7th on corrected. Look at the results between the 1st and 2nd races I never understood their system last winter and have not seen results like this in my 37 years of yacht racing.

Knot Me all you need to do is get a bigger rig and a swinging dangler and your PHRF will drop just look at a boat your size thats doing Fiji on saturday :? :? :?:

Knot to get in the way of a good rant but one of the reasons people can get p*ssed off about handicaps is that the adjustment takes into account, say, three or four races but if you only look at the most recent race, it looks illogical and you may feel inclined to say: "That's $%ing bullsh*t."

No inside knowledge in this case - I am out in the sticks after all - but it is one possible explanation.

For me, I race for line, (or how I do against the competition on the water), I wait till I get home and go to racetrack to see how I did on handicap. If I get a handicap prize from the officiating yacht club, that's a bonus.

Nobody has more insight into my performance based handicap than Racetrack.

If Auckland clubs decided to handicap to racetracks specs, handicap prizes would be far fairer.

E.g the Multihull div at BOI Race Week (This is not a slight on them, they ran a bloody good race week), Razzel should have won that, G3 2nd, me 3rd. They consistently sailed better than their history, so for me even though I got 2nd, I did not deserve it. I really came third. :wtf: :wtf:

Geez KM I must have forgotten the call you made to me saying that we'd handicapped you too low at Weiti and would we please put it up to be fair on everyone else. :wink:

That's not all he asked for AA - from the "hole in the hull" thread:

Yes I know that is technically illegal but I'm safety 1st so get stuffed, besides I can deploy it in 15 seconds quite easily which is a LOT faster than most could their dings. But feel free to protest as I think it would be interesting to see the outcome and wouldn't mind if you do. Hard to get anyone to give a solid ruling on that. The word from someone who knows the safety regs very well that we all know and love, in that blokie have a beer way only, and I personally trust, said it should be OK but would need a protest to get a solid answer. Come on someone have a crack, I'll even pay the protest fee it there's one.

Hmmm..... I wonder if I can protest myself??

Seems a shame to leave a man begging like that. :twisted:

Was going to AA until I discovered I seem to have developed a way of adjusting it myself :?

I'm just very happy that if I sail like a legend or a total muppet or change my boat's configuration the WBC (also PCC and a few others) system will take that into account in a quick, efficient and fair manner so every boat in the fleet has a chance, even if very slim, of a podium finish if they sail well rather than having to hope another boat cocks up large or breaks.

:lol: :lol: A little weird Murky I admit. I'm more than happy and would like someone to protest so we all know one way or the other, there are also others getting/using these. As it appears I can't protest myself, yes I sussed, would someone please. As mentioned I will pay the protest fee it required. I really don't mind and surely there has to be another boat on the harbour besides me with a protest flag. That is a 100% totally genuine comment, ask, plea and desire. I'd prefer to find out in a controlled no-one gets pissed off manner sooner rather than a random annoy the crap out of someone one later.

Ok, Im new to this PHRF bollocks, and just recieved my first cert from YNZ, 0.845 is the number based solely on the measurements i sent them, not race results as we've only done a few 'friendlys'. 0.845 is a bit higher than i was expecting.

Soooo - if we want to enter the SSANZ series with a true(ish) phrf number, I need to get at least 3 races under our belts so the PHRF get corrected before the SSANZ start?

No, no, no. Three races for things to start to straighten out is for a "club general" handicap.

PHRF you will have to grit your teeth and ignore the results for at least 2-3 years before it starts to reflect your performance.

It only moves a couple of time a year at best.

Yeah TL sail around with a bucket out the back and eventually they'll move it down for you! But have just one good race and see how fast they react!

Quite right AA. Almost all the races I've done next to you I thought you finished in a very good position :wink:

Oh dear, I see now Markm. It is hard to resist isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry AA, we still love ya :thumbup:

Archived