Insurance

14 hours ago, Dave said:

Hi BR,

Sorry but for some reason I'm getting notification of these posts quite late, odd. 

Insurance, what a palaver!  Tried every man and his dog here in NZ but as you've found out they won't touch trimarans, must be hugely frustrating for you as your boat has been tarred and feathered by some random trimaran risk factor that doesn't really apply, in my opinion.  I couldn't even talk them into waiving the capsize or breakage clauses, which I thought was the worst risk for my boat.

Ended up going with Northernreef Insurance, who are run by Edward William, a Spanish crowd.  They were pretty good, prompt and I thought reasonable - NZ$1200 for the usual fire, theft, damage etc., as well as coastal out to 100nm, racing and solo sailing cover.  That was all good until May when I got a nice email to say that their underwriter had gone belly up so I was now uninsured.  But wait!  There is another company willing to take me on, for a reduced premium of NZ$588, for the remaining six months of my policy.  Excellent I thought, through mentally gritted teeth.  No real choice but to stump up the ponies but not very happy.  Also the internets search I did on Edward William wasn't super encouraging regarding them honouring policies.  Still, I'm insured I guess and fingers crossed I'll never have to lodge a claim.

Sorry, rant over.  Who did you find might I ask?

Cheers,

Dave

I think the reason it takes time for you to reply is that all of my posts need to be read by an adult first before they get posted, hope they check my spelling :D .  There is most likely a delay there somewhere to you getting to read it :)

We ended up using a company based in Europe and added my boat to my friends charter fleet that he has in Thailand, once the work is finished on the boat we are looking to take the trip over to Thailand where we have a marina space ready for her.

I even went down the route here in NZ of trying to just get myself insured as a skipper and crew to ensure any of my third party liabilities were covered but even with years of sailing and a internationally recognised offshore skippers ticket that wasn't acceptable here in NZ.

My main issues here were when it is in NZ we have her on a swing mooring as it was all I could get (bought her on a spur of the moment impulse :) ) and for some reason even though it is a council registered and certified mooring that's just wrong!

But my main issue was I needed to get her out of the water and work on her, the marina needed insurance for this to happen and for some reason NZ insurance won't quote on a 40 year old trimaran that is usually kept on a swing mooring!

To be honest rant away, I was absolutely blown away by the lack of help with the insurance companies here, wouldn't even give me a silly money quote at all.  I have honestly never experienced that with anything.

I know right?  What a pain.  My boat is also on a (fore and aft) swing mooring which was fine for the insurer I went with.  I would have thought that 3rd party insurance just covering marinas and hardstands would have been a no brainer, irrespective of the type of boat, go figure.

That's cool plan to head up to Thailand, I'm guessing beginning of next year after the cyclone season?  I'd imagine it'd be a nice passage to make in your boat, not that I've been offshore in a trimaran, but the Racer certainly looks like she's got the pedigree.  If you need crew keep me in mind, I've done offshore miles in a monohull although it was a long time ago.  Fingers crossed there's an improvement in the Coronavirus situation by the time you're ready to head away.  Is the boat far off Cat 1?  I'm looking at getting mine to Cat 3 for local racing, and the criteria for that looks like sensible gear to have anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

On 14/07/2020 at 12:31 PM, Dave said:

I know right?  What a pain.  My boat is also on a (fore and aft) swing mooring which was fine for the insurer I went with.  I would have thought that 3rd party insurance just covering marinas and hardstands would have been a no brainer, irrespective of the type of boat, go figure.

That's cool plan to head up to Thailand, I'm guessing beginning of next year after the cyclone season?  I'd imagine it'd be a nice passage to make in your boat, not that I've been offshore in a trimaran, but the Racer certainly looks like she's got the pedigree.  If you need crew keep me in mind, I've done offshore miles in a monohull although it was a long time ago.  Fingers crossed there's an improvement in the Coronavirus situation by the time you're ready to head away.  Is the boat far off Cat 1?  I'm looking at getting mine to Cat 3 for local racing, and the criteria for that looks like sensible gear to have anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I only get a weekly digest of replies so sorry for the delay here :)

We're going to complete all of the reasonable items for the cat one, some of the things they ask for are just not practical for the boat.  I haven't studied it too hard being as we're registering Blaydon Racer in Malaysia under that flag.  We are usually based in Singapore and have resident status there so was just easier all round to do that.

I'm in no way interested in racing these days so won't be needing to register for any categories in New Zealand.

The guys I insured with didn't care what type of mooring or marina we had her in, they only care about the type of sailing and where you will be looking to sail.  I sent them a plan of what I was expecting to do and they will cover that.

Shouldn't be too far away from getting her back in the water, just tested all of the new electrics that were fitted and the steering is ordered and on its way.

Cheers for now.