Do cat one inspections do any good?

What’s the penalty for not having a current cat 1 paperwork in place then? I’m not sure I understand the concept of “clearing out”. From the uk, we just used to sail off, then raise the Q on arrival and go to find a customs guy with our passports. Ditto on the return to the uk. We were never questioned upon leaving nor told that we should.

And, even if we are all ok about doing a cat 1, how are we supposed to do that in the South Island, with no inspectors here? I don’t fancy provisioning and setting off with the family to have to go via Tauranga (for example) first, then finding that we can’t go because of some daft reason. More likely we’d want to set off East via the Chathams, but no-one there to inspect either.

What’s the penalty for not having a current cat 1 paperwork in place then? I’m not sure I understand the concept of “clearing out”. From the uk, we just used to sail off, then raise the Q on arrival and go to find a customs guy with our passports. Ditto on the return to the uk. We were never questioned upon leaving nor told that we should.

Same reason you could travel freely around Ireland and Europe without a passport is why you could just sail off and come back in the UK. Might change now with Brexit.

To leave NZ by boat ('clear out') you have to have an NZ border security official stamp the passports of everybody on board, and the ships papers (I think). If you don't have a Cat 1 certificate, the Border Guard wont stamp your passport / let you leave NZ. 

You could just sail off, but the issues are around entry to other countries, i.e. passport / visa / immigration stuff (nothing to do with the boat), and generally things get complicated very quickly

When clearing out, an exit stamp in the passports and a zarpe (clearance paper) for the yacht. Any port in any country you go to will (should) ask for that form. Not to do so is to risk jail.

Ive seen a couple of yachts not clear in or out in some third world countries, and know of one who went to jail. His boat seemed basically abandoned.

When clearing out, an exit stamp in the passports and a zarpe (clearance paper) for the yacht. Any port in any country you go to will (should) ask for that form. Not to do so is to risk jail.

Ive seen a couple of yachts not clear in or out in some third world countries, and know of one who went to jail. His boat seemed basically abandoned.

Technically,  is this still the case if sailing to Australia on an NZ passport?