Barriers to Participation / Crewing

Interesting discussion.Both sides have valid points to make. BUT if you want entries in races don't put up more blocks. Dr.W post on last minute replacements being a good example.Back in the day there was no requirement and membership of clubs, (RAYC and PCC) (I belonged to both) was viewed as what you did. The clubs actually provided a congenial atmosphere and after race festivities that attracted members voluntarily. Nowadays,for whatever reasons,thats not the case.So ,instead of compulsion make your club attractive by providing what people want. That might include anything from tea and scones to a prayer mat but ask potential members and then do it. We like it like this from existing members might be one real reason of declining membership by those who don't like it ? BTW we won't be doing the 350 !

If a crew member won’t pay $65 a year for a club membership find another sport! Not a big expense in the grand scheme of thing. I don’t see why people find it such a issue

It's a cumulative issue. There are soooo many 'not really a big deal' little requirements coming in, each one in their own right perfectly justifiable, but the quantum of each on of those little things is getting bigger. Its forming a barrier to participation.

Native actually wrote some good stuff a few posts back asking what is needed to increase particaption, especially from the school kid dinghy fleets into keelers. I think people underestimate the cumulative affect of all the requirements to enter a yacht race. I would try and list them, but alas I don't have the time.

Now, compulsory membership is a standard clause from YNZ. If this was applied to the Coastal, YNZ would benefit at $24/ head, and depending on numbers could benefit by around $20k.

But would we still get 160 entries in the Coastal?

Would we get more or less entries?

It was interesting to note that there were 80 odd boats in coastal this year that were new to the race or hadn't done the race for many years .

Last year the total number of boats participating was very similar 150ish ? What happened with the 80 odd boats from last year that didn't participate this year ? Sure some would not have been able to make it due to other commitments but that's a very large drop in return participants

In general club memberships are dropping due to things from my experience

1)old fossils who do not like change

2)Oh no we cannot justify that expense just to see if we can attract more members

3)have a look around clubs after a race how many crews go to the club?bet numbers have dropped off due to having 1 or 2 lemonades while sailing and wont risk driving just in case.

4)as someone stated and I have noticed,where are the young dinghy sailors 16/17 boys/girls gone too?why have they not stepped up?is it because we wont take a novice or maybe discovered girls/boys. 

5)it was talk about at committee level to invite young sailors along and thats where it ended "talk"

6) I have no intention of rushing out to buy another vessel,much rather crew and put money in to house,childrens education

Remember the days of the rayc winter racing 1980s pcc 1980s  big fleets now dwindling numbers

1970s 5 or 6 divisions at rnzys last time I looked numbers down .

I have theory as to why,Americas cup/volvo ocean racing, unless your good enough for these events might as well give up.youth today do not want to work their way up they want to step on to a winning yacht

Not just yacht clubs dying so are local RSA/Rugby clubs etc

Sorry for wandering off topic but its all relevant, its a 24/7 life style today.

I don’t begrudge YNZ taking a levy but I want proportional representation

Me neither they do a lot for the sport just pointing out that it may be a big part of the reason more races only want affiliated members crewing . It helps keep the wheels turning at YNZ

That's a call made by the RAYC, one it is allowed to make.

Absolutely, Its Royal Akarana's party, I'm not questioning that.

But compulsory crew membership for the 5 Gold Cup races kind of smokes the argument put in this thread that "its just one race, and its a big scary offshore one, that you wouldn't take a newbie on anyway".

Four of those races are nice day sails around the harbour. Great for introducing friends and newbies to sailing / racing.

Not really if youre serious

Weight on the rail = righting moment = more power

Weight on the rail = flatter boat = higher pointing

But yeah, you wouldn't want to take things too seriously  ;-)

They probably would have been weeing their pants with excitement sending in under gennie coming back from Saddle Island today though, and would have been handy on the rail getting up to Saddle Island, today, in the Bean Rock race.

They'd probably come off the water today after a massive send, absolutely fizzing, and dead keen to join up, both on a crew, and the Royal Akarana membership.

If they'd been allowed.

What do you reckon the compliance rate is for all boats and all crew in the Gold Cup?

Me neither they do a lot for the sport just pointing out that it may be a big part of the reason more races only want affiliated members crewing . It helps keep the wheels turning at YNZ

To be fair the wording is set by World Sailing not YNZ