Cat Flipped, Bean Rk Race

A yellow cat has flipped, a mile or two south of Motuora. Hard to tell with it being upside down, but looks to be an 8.5 or similar length. Appears to have been competing in the Gold Cup Bean Rock race run by Royal Akarana. Saddle Island (Mahurangi) is a mark of the course.

One Coastguard in attendance, and a second making full speed towards it at the time of posting. Couldn't see any other races boats lending any assistance.

Trust all on board are ok.

Currently looks to be abandoned.

The two Coastguard boats have left the scene.

Two upside down yellow hulls drifting slowly east, a few miles south of Motuora.

Some mono's been having epic sends under gennie heading back to Tiri channel through the afternoon.

She's just drifting slowly east at the moment, no one in attendance (5:30 pm). Hard to describe where but possibly due north of Tindalls or Army Bay, 5 or so miles out if I had to guess, maybe less.

Fairly easy to see with the sun catching her nice yellow hulls  :cry:

Blowing 25 gusting 35 at the moment, with sheep in the paddock (obviously), so not ideal conditions for salvage type work, and the wind isn't forecast to settle down very much tomorrow either, although a change of direction on the cards (cold front due in the morning).

My thoughts to the owner trying to sort this one out.

Any idea why not?

My understanding (which may or may not be correct, but came from a CG crewman at the time) was that there was a little bit of controversy when they tried to right the wooden dog infront of the squadie a few years back.

That, and Coastguards mission statement is 'saving lives at sea', not salvage at sea.

My understanding (which may or may not be correct, but came from a CG crewman at the time) was that there was a little bit of controversy when they tried to right the wooden dog infront of the squadie a few years back.

That, and Coastguards mission statement is 'saving lives at sea', not salvage at sea.

The Wooden Dog being?? 

still fairly unpleasant out there i should think. 

anybody want to shed some more light on the TW righting controversy? 

All I know was that damage was done in attempts to right it by the CG. Think an ama was broken. There is probably more info on a historical crew thread if you are keen to know more.

All I know was that damage was done in attempts to right it by the CG. Think an ama was broken. There is probably more info on a historical crew thread if you are keen to know more.

yeah i found the old thread actually. big mess. didn't see any blame attributed to CG, though...