Sealing stanchions base

Hi,

The stanchions base of my Farr 6000 are looking a little dodgy. I inspected them and they do not seem to leak through into the cabin. Though there has been a few repairs and added screws in the past from what I can see and I am worried all this is not very waterproof. To do well I should take them out (one is a little wobbly) and re-do the base but I do not want to get on such a big job yet...

meanwhile for the next season or 2 I was keen to lay a sealant around the base plate and on the screws.

I have some Selleys All Clear Co-polymer sealant (from harware store) that seem to be a product (not silicone). Should I use that? Any other good advice?

Thanks in advance.

Damien

Some staunchions sit on TWO plates. Ours do and this is to allow them some give so they will wobble a little so that it saves the deck on any impact. Coming into a dock wind behind and crunch! The deck doesn't get bent up, the top plate does. Give them a pull and see if the bottom plate thats flush with the deck is moving too, if so then they need to be re seated. I've had great success with "G-FLEX". It's an epoxy that is actually elastic, no cracking under small movement, 100% waterproof . We used it on our new chain plates and an annoying leak in the deadwood and to date, good as.

Another vote for removal,resealing and reinstalling. Doing it right the first time will save you time and money and it's generally not difficult to do.

Concerning resealing, my preferred method after cleaning the deck and stanchion base of any old gunk is to countersink the bolt holes in the deck a little, and also the corresponding holes in the stanchion base from the bottom of the plate. Reinstall with your preferred sealant but not too tight. After the sealant has cured, nip up the nuts ensuring that the bolt doesn't turn as you do so. Need an extra pair of hands for this.

What you have done is create a little sealing washer in the countersunk bits of deck and stanchion base surrounding the bolts. In my experience they will not leak,even in the event if a little movement.

Thanks for all your advises. I know I am certainly facing the fact that I will have to take them off to re-seal and fix them properly, but being at the start of the season I was keen to push this project to next winter.

The boat concerned is a Farr 6000. The base plate bolts go through the deck with a nut below on the cabin side. I suspect there is timber embedded in the deck fibreglass and I do not know how is this timber... this is where I am worried to get into a big job... in saying that the stanchions are still feeling sturdy I cannot see them going anywhere.

So for now I was hoping a wee bit of sealant above deck would help me for another few months...