Getting offshore weather....

Trying to get all the gear together foir a successful foray into the Pacific in the future.

I have a Icom M710 plus tuner and looking at scoring a pactor for weather/grib maps. 

Is this the most economical way to go.

Will be if you already have a ssb set up. We didn't, so just went with an iridium go via predict wind. Forecasts were very accurate. Also gave us voice calls home. The airtime package we needed was around NZ $210 per month.

Once we got over to Fiji from Tonga, we stopped it as cellphone coverage very good and much better plans than NZ (we are on a $25 per month for 25gb but you also get $100 of calls to NZ and some other countries in that). We will reactivate the Iridium Go when we are in the Lau next year as we hear only limited cell coverage there.

Good luck with your cruising preps.

Trying to get all the gear together foir a successful foray into the Pacific in the future.

I have a Icom M710 plus tuner and looking at scoring a pactor for weather/grib maps. 

Is this the most economical way to go.

Its the most economical if you are away for a while. If you go the SSB way, a pactor 4 (but at least a 2 with 3 software update) is faster than an irridium go.  $250 USD per year for sailmail. This is what I use, works great. A bit more of a learning curve than an irridium go, so not for everyone.

NZ runs a very good weather fax service. Top end of 5mhz seems the best for reception. There a simple apps that convert the audio out of the speaker into a fax image and its not difficult to work out weather from their MSL chart. Just put your cellphone in front of the speaker.

There’s some company that sells radio receivers that pick up the image transmission from some weather satellites as the pass overhead. Free reception but all you get is a picture. Anyone know about them?

OK, thanks for all the info.

Just bought Pactor 11 USB & bluetooth with a 3 liscense.

Looking for a M710 to pactor data cable.

Guess I'm gonna need to shield the usb cable to PC thoroughly.

Now to research/ a ground plane and and antenna, ( No insulators on backstay.)

google, here I come.

You can get a data cable from various suppliers including www.sea-tech.com

Putting insulators on the backstay is straight forward. I am told by a HAM  operator backstay is more efficient up to 14MHz whilst a whip is superior above these frequencies.

You should use Times LMR 400 coaxial cable between radio and tuner and GTO 15 Cable between tuner and backstay.

Here is an interesting article on grounding

http://www.kp44.org/ftp/SeawaterGroundingFor_HF_Radios_byGordonWest.pdf

Apps for receiving HF weatherfax

https://www.blackcatsystems.com/ipad-iphone-ipod-touch-shortwave-ham-amateur-radio-app/HF-Weather-Fax-radiofacsimile-nws-noaa-maritime-marine-high-seas-forecast-sailing.html

and Android

https://www.blackcatsystems.com/droid/hf-weather-fax.html