Akarana 350

Yeah a few of the trackers seem to have been offline. Gale force has finished, beat truxton by 20 odd seconds.

Not sure about motorboat, will be interesting to see where the sibling rivalry ended up.

Katana finished half an hour or so after Gale force/truxton.

https://rayc.co.nz/results/2018/akarana350race2018/akarana350race2018/01RGrp10.htm

Arbitare and Start Me Up showing as DNC on the results page, but SMS is just a few miles from the finish, steaming in at 10.7 knts.

Haven't seen Arbitare on the tracker for a long time, assume they are just running in stealth mode.

There isn't a time limit is there? I can't find one in the SI's.

That would suck a massive kumura if they get DNF'ed after slogging through that weather.

But I don't understand the DNC instead of DNF?

Prize giving is supposed to be at 6pm... I'm sure they can delay that and manage to keep entertained in the dry and warm somehow?

https://rayc.co.nz/results/2018/akarana350race2018/akarana350race2018/01RGrp10.htm

Arbitare and Start Me Up showing as DNC on the results page, but SMS is just a few miles from the finish, steaming in at 10.7 knts.

Haven't seen Arbitare on the tracker for a long time, assume they are just running in stealth mode.

There isn't a time limit is there? I can't find one in the SI's.

That would suck a massive kumura if they get DNF'ed after slogging through that weather.

But I don't understand the DNC instead of DNF?

Prize giving is supposed to be at 6pm... I'm sure they can delay that and manage to keep entertained in the dry and warm somehow?

Must have just been a 'dynamic page update'

The DNC's are now not there.

Obviously the prize giving is at 6 pm, but is there a formal time limit stated anywhere? (other than work on Monday, if your that way inclined...)

Hmmm... so that means someone drove home very fast.

Maybe he had been promised a dawnbreaker ;)

Anyone know why Thirsty pulled the pin?

Thirsty boys pulled out as they were just too shattered I think.  Pretty wet boat, especially with the amount of rain and some hands and feet weren't that flash when I went and saw them this morning.  They had a big park up on the other side of Great Barrier and I think it just became one park up too many for them and they decided to just head home as it was nice and close.

Pretty happy for the SMU team...I got bumped off for a better sailer, and it's paid off.  Fourth on provisional PHRF!  And the happiness I heard when I finally got a phone call this morning - boys have had a ball, impressive after an estimated 6-8 hours sleep each the whole trip!  Congratulations to T Rex, Titanium and Truxton at the top of the leaderboard and well done to everyone.  Awesome challenge!

very challenging race on thirsty work , sean did exceptionally well for a young fella and kept a cool head throughout a very gruelling race .

we were about 30-40 mins behind t rex at hole in the wall on the return leg and 7 miles behind them at  morning sked just after  we cleared the mercs . the decision to go up the back of barrier was made early in the race to get cleaner air we blasted up with cracked sheets doing 7-9 knots and as knot me said very close to claris we cleared arid island with 500m to spare .

at about this point seans phone died and i coudnt turn on the tracker on my phone because it requires 3G signal to "enter race" hopefully race organisers will scrub the time penalty in future for not having your tracker on ,  the predict wind tracker service is very fickle at best .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          After Arid we had agreat line for the knights with the Fr0 with 7-9 kots of boat speed and we felt we were still in the race . just after the needles the masthead zero was put up as breeze eased then completly buggered off about 10 miles behind the mokes . the park up lasted about 4 hours in drizzle with about a mile of visibilty and spordic  3-4 knots of breeze for every direction plus a 1 metre swell from 3 directions  .  A light northerly finally filled in about 2 in the arvo allowing us to just lay the top of the knights on a tight reach but still 30 miles away.

We couldnt raise maritime radio at the evening sked or contact any other boats on 16 for a relay  which gave us an indication we were probably well at the back of the fleet , At dusk neil the nav finally manage to get out to maritime radio but couldnt hear their reply but it was a relief because we didnt want to cause any concern to those ashore  . The tracker was stil a dead duck at this stage as we were still 5-ish miles out from the knights but trucking along at 6-6.5 knots with a nice northerly .

we rounded the knights at 10.15 and the skipper was roused from bunk to hoist the masthead assy . I  turned on the tracker with great difficulty smartphones touchscreens dont work well with prune fingers  . the tracker showed two boats just south of the sugar loaf so we thought we might catch them but the breeze died and sean made the call to retire at about 2 in the morning probably 5 miles north of toots.

big thanks to reg on T. rex  for graciously sharing his  weather routes with us and to Radar for his hospitality and amazing pre race lunch and thanks also to SMU crew for all the encouraging messages during the race .  

• Upvote 2

Bit of a tough ask for the smaller boats only having finished mid afternoon to attend prize giving 3 hours later. These are still quick boats so how would a 30ftr get on. It appears unless you have a tricked up 35ft minimum, you are not wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think that is the case at all. The race took longer than anyone expected, originally there was to be a BBQ on the Saturday evening. Everyone was asked at the briefing if a Sunday Prizegiving was ok and all agreed. Was just a some unusual weather. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the lack of news will stop current participants from doing it again but may not inspire to many new ones. I am hoping to see a few photos appear soon as there were some camera boats about.

From my perspective I feel really grateful that these Guys and Girls gave up their weekend so we could do what we love.

• Upvote 1