Akarana 350

Either the now casting is broken, they've got some fancy weather out their, or the front is going through.

Channel Is is blowing 31/34 from 109 deg

Mokes is Blowing       9/10 from 306 deg

i.e. Mokes is blowing almost the exact opposite direction from Channel, and light. Wonder what the left over sea state is like?

If you play back the track they all appear to have all gone inside Barrier

Titanium, Motor Boat and Truxton have cleared past the barrier cell coverage

RT2 smoking towards Tiri with MS loosing touch overnight back at Whangarei heads and Anachy not far behind at Tutukaka

Interesting

My view definitely has them going inside ?

Lucky we will be using YBTrackers for RNZ

That is a fairly major anomaly if we are both watching the same race on the same tracker but seeing completely different races.

I know the trackers drop out and jump, sometimes straight to a cell tower, Gale Force has taken a couple of breaks straight to cell towers...

But I was watching RN 2 and MS last night, they went through the Mercs, outside Great Merc and inside Red Merc and kept on going straight around the outside of GB, i.e. no breaks or jumps in the track.

Would make the PW tracker about as useful as tits on a bull.

PW tracker has its limitations, but nothing to complain about for me. it's easy to set up, and we know it relies on data so you know when it drops out, and when the average speed is out of whack etc.

And it adds to the excitement for watching...for instance I am watching tail end of fleet, and Thirsty Work disappeared before it was completely certain he was heading outside Barrier, TRex disappeared inside Barrier, and SMU disappeared once clear of Coromandel.  Thirsty now seen, but where are the other two?  Interesting to see where they pop out!

SMU is holding with the fast boats better then I expected, well done them.

Yes!  They are doing well so far, despite shackle breakage/kite drowning/up the mast mission and get going again drama after the start.  Have no doubt that if they hadn't had that minor stop they would be much closer.

Thirsty, TRex and Start Me Up have all been in stealth mode for a couple of hours now.  I am taking bets with myself trying to guess where they pop out again!  The leading SHs keep disappearing too.  I am hoping the tailenders have caught up a bit and don't get caught in the park up that happened by the Mokes and condensed the fleet.

Agreed, I am enjoying the fact I can't always see where everyone is at any given moment.  And I hope you are correct that SMU may sneak up....and even pass perhaps!  

It will be interesting to see the difference in cell providers too, whether that makes a difference, or if some of the bigger boats have boosting capabilities perhaps.  

Mixing in a bit of Marine traffic adds to the mystery also as about half the fleet are running AIS

Depending on how they are setup the strength of the signal vary throwing in more variability

The 30 footers are currently tacking up to Poor Knights.

There was a bit of a park up at the Mokohinaus.

Looks like Katana lost out by going outside there.

Lately Motorboat has lost out with the boats out to sea and upwind getting a good lift inside them.

Gale Force appears to have made the best gains lately.

Anarchy racing away at 14kn, but Titanium only 7 knots a bit further North. Very different breezes out there! Stand out races from Titanium and Truxton, although Truxton has been caught now. Looked very strong early on..

Katana, Gale Force and Truxton are around the knights in that order

Motor Boat has disappeared again

The next biggy will be which of the small boats pop out first

Yes Jon...and I am waiting to see where SMU, Thirsty Work, and T Rex pop out!  I am not patient anymore.  Also not surprised, we know well how little cell coverage there is out there.

We live at Parua Bay, and I can tell you it's definitely patchy wind and we had torrential rain for about 3 hours today too.  Nothing like the wind showing down in the Gulf.  I have tried pinging his phone a few times with a family stalker app we have and that refuses to find him too!