Buckets

Can anyone on God's green earth explain why, on a boat crewed by myself and the missus, I am required by the Cat 1 regs to have 4 x 9l buckets, all with lanyards?

I'm thinking possible corruption here, some nefarious bucket manufacturers have some juicy dirt on YNZ rulocrats.

I note that the expression "frightened man with a bucket" is quite specifically referring to "a" bucket.  Perhaps the expression should be amended to "frightened man with a bucket (with attached lanyard) AND 3 SPARE FECKIN' BUCKETS ALL WITH ATTACHED FECKIN' LANYARDS"

Seems like a reasonable number to me - I've forgotten how many I've lost overboard and they're generally free anyway so whats the issue. Its a right royal PITA when you dont have one

Off the top of my head

1 for pooing in when the dunny packs up.

1 for doing laundry in

1 for rinsing dishes in

1 for losing overboard while cleaning the anchor or other stuff

BTW, the Resenes paint buckets are excellent and if you keep the lids and are very multi-functional - think soaking laundry, brewing beer etc

I once questioned the Cat 1 inspector over the need for a life ring since as a single hander there would be no one on board to chuck it at me in the event of an overboard mishap.

He replied that the Cat 1 certificate was to ensure compliance of the boat irrespective of the number of crew on board. Sounds reasonable.

I once questioned the Cat 1 inspector over the need for a life ring since as a single hander there would be no one on board to chuck it at me in the event of an overboard mishap.

He replied that the Cat 1 certificate was to ensure compliance of the boat irrespective of the number of crew on board. Sounds reasonable.

Or...single handers deserve what they get.

Yep, by the time you have loaded $30k of "safety" gear for your CAT1...theres no room for the skipper!!. Fair enough if you have crew aboard, their life is the skippers responsibility but what happened to the freedom of the sea? The right to make your own decision to embark on a voyage of (self?) discovery on your OWN? A single hander has had that removed by nanny state nz. You can not legally leave nz without an "exit visa" and without that, you can not legally enter another country so nz has the single hander by the short and expensive curlies until you pay lots and lots of money for junk you may never need and a boat that for all intense and purposes will remain afloat long after the cat1 inspector has curled up his toes. God forbid any of us stub our toes out there!! Sorry, distilled our infamous hooch today and probably over did the 'quality control'. This is what happens when the fish are not biting.

yep, its not the 1900's any more. Reality is reality. The only option is offshore registration, if that's what you want. Personally, I think there is little on the cat 1 list I don't want. A few things, as highlighted, if single handed, but, throw ropes and life rings might be used to assist another vessel. 

Again, I think that the Cat one inspectors are pretty reasonable, and most of the people complaining about them have little actual experience clearing in and out. They are, in my experience, more flexible than just ticking a list, provided you have good reasons for your gear/setup . And yes, I have left NZ single handed...

+1 For what Matt just said. Its really not that hard or over the top.

4 buckets will cost you about 15 bucks and stack to not much more room than one. Trust me you find plenty of uses- seasick crew, mopping up messes like oil or diesel spills, toilet blockages ect. We pretty much always had one in the cockpit of Rogue.

I just did a cat 2 last night which is very similar but lasts for 2 years instead of every voyage like cat 1. Every inspector I have dealt with has been reasonable and fair and I have dealt with a few.

Again, I think that the Cat one inspectors are pretty reasonable, and most of the people complaining about them have little actual experience clearing in and out.

That's a bit harsh. I've lost count of the number of clearances I've made. And most of the people contacting me by pm have a lot of experience, the newbies are the ones that like a checklist and a pat on the back.

So...countries that have no such inspections have more deaths at sea and are dissadvantaged compared to us? Yes, it's not the 1900s, maybe mores the pitty as freedoms get eroded over time. You can not save everyone from themselves, idiots are just that but where is the harm in trying? Lots.

Copy and paste, tack on after tack on is easier than a ground up re-evaluation of the whole list.

For CAT 4 and 5, when is the last time anyone used a fog horn?

When is the last time anyone used a fog horn full stop?

Did anyone use a fog horn when that 100 odd boats were sifting around in the fog on the delayed start to the last SSANZ race? the one delayed to 1 pm ish from 9 am, you know the one, where all hundred odd boats should have been merely tooting their way around the harbour?...................