Self launching/pivoting bow roller, opinions on it?

Here is my next dilemma. My bow roller is so short therefore no anchor could fit without hit the boat even when it stowed. I was thinking to extend it and keep the anchor further forward, but that is a reasonably labour intense solution and probably very difficult or impossible to do it on the water. Second option is a bolt on extension, which brings the final variant in the game, the pivoting system. I can see all the advantage of it, only one thing concerns me, when the anchor deployed and a snubber line on the chain has a very little or even no tension on. Is this pivot could make any noise when it is loose? I guess the other question is which type of system we talking about, so I would really appreciate to hear opinions and details. I looking for making my own one which be retrofitted to replace the current roller, and I have a Manson Supreme 25lb anchor to accomodate.

Had exactly the same problem, even worse when I upgraded the anchor to a Manson Supreme 45lb. Had a self launching extension made up and works well, anchor clears the bow in rest position, aids launching and retrieval. The weight of the chain keeps some tension on the snub rope even when no wind or tide, just make sure you have enough slack chain to let the snubber take the load and you won't get any noise.

Make sure you get the relativity right between pivot point and front and rear roller positions or it won't work properly, have a wander around a marina for ideas or use an experienced engineer.

The snubber rope needs to be made of the right stuff to have some spring in it, I got mine from Chains, Ropes and anchors and it is very good.

When racing it's only one bolt to remove it and fit the original roller if you want.

Same anchor as you and same problem. Took the entire forpeak bow roller out and butchered a cheap SS power boat roller by cutting off most of the rear tang and then welding it to the existing roller but at a down angle. A lot was guess work and eyecrometer but works a treat! Supreme does not bang the stem anymore, no rattle and easy to turn when it comes up backwards. Will get a pic for you soon.

Thanks for the responses, "self launching" is pretty much terminology only, as some manufacturer call it like this. I would be sad if this anchor wouldn't leave the deck without assistance. As I said, the main problem is the position of the anchor and I'm just after a "quick" solution. Offsetting the existing roller with "spacer" would be very difficult as you can see on the picture, the forestay secured to the same plate. I would prefer to not drill any more holes, however adding an extra "retrofit" bow roller definitely an option, after cutting off the left part of the frame and drill and tap to the plate without drill through the deck. Do any welding on this plate required to remove it so that is out. Alternatively I just make up an extension, secured to the shaft of the current roller and add two more bolts further aft. That's probably the easiest and quickest solution until the next haulout.... Thanks guys

20181026_163626.jpg

The bar was there as the forpeak mount for the old pulpit, the new one doesn't need it so took it off but put it back on as it protected the furler from being wacked when the anchor comes up. Also had arms welded on both the old and new roller then looked heavy duty bungy through them, the lower one through a small length of plastic water pipe. Keeps the anchor shaft sitting nicely in the roller and stops the warp popping out as we are warp / chain. Cost $300 to get it done, money well spent as anchoring now so easy. Will get in the ding later and get a better pic.

I shouldn't over-think things... The Manson Supreme fits easily to the existing roller, not even close to the hull. Enough space for launching retrieving, even though clear from the mooring line on the other side. I wish everything would be that simple. A top bracket will make it better but I don't worry about it just now...

20181213_160623.jpg

20181213_160604.jpg

The answer is so embarrassing... a "professional" who did not wanted to sign off my one.... I wasn't even used this type of rope. I going to put my 8 strand one on as soon I sorted out  some more important stuff. Between us, looks awful as it is.