2019 SSANZ Round New Zealand race

Comprehension has never been a strong point KM- Could you please elucidate your comments for those of us who missed the point?

Or possibly keep this thread for RNZ and move the YNZ stuff to the YNZ section?..............................................................................

I’m thinking two boats have made one call and perhaps two others are making another

The other 3 are either working into or out of holes

Will be very interesting to see if working the inshore coastal effects or the buffalo girl will pay off.

After doing the last one I’m of the thought the I would go wide then bang the corner, but it’s fascinating how fast the systems come at that corner and therefore if you hit it right your going to be walking forward on the travelator, however if you don’t strike it right you will be running into it.

Agree... the truxtanium and the green machine still look like they are going to run into it....will be a long beat for the others methinks

• Upvote 1

YNZ have no interest in local boating, it's not what they are there for.

You might be right on the MSM comment but totally disagree with this bit, I’m currently commodore of a very small Akl yacht club (just 60 families) and also have been involved in many other clubs and events over the years - I cannot speak highly enough of the support we get. Often we don’t need to ask, it’s offered. The YNZ people I see most of like Angus, Andrew, Kelly, Raynor, Wayne and Kim (especially Kim!) are incredibly interested in what we do, plugged in to whats happening and helpful.

Maybe it’s because the clubs and associations I’ve been involved in (including Olympic and NZ classes) have worked to keep the lines of communication open.

Enjoying tracking the RNZ and it’s got me fired up and looking forward to doing another RNI, hopefully next year.

• Upvote 1

Back to the round NZ what an interesting race.  I'm loving working out the weather and what's coming, interesting moves, some models yesterday showed South East, might be interesting.  Next 24 hours will be very interesting.  I've sailed down that way and the wave height will be fantastic!!

Would be fantastic to see more boats do this race.  

Good to hear some updates from the yachts.  Does anyone think anyone think any of the yachts will seek shelter in Milford?  Might be going backwards otherwise?  

Back to the round NZ what an interesting race.  I'm loving working out the weather and what's coming, interesting moves, some models yesterday showed South East, might be interesting.  Next 24 hours will be very interesting.  I've sailed down that way and the wave height will be fantastic!!

Would be fantastic to see more boats do this race.  

“Yes but we only have a limited number of crazy sailors in this county”

Good to hear some updates from the yachts. 

“Updates coming off the yachts daily on Facebook”

Does anyone think anyone think any of the yachts will seek shelter in Milford?  Might be going backwards otherwise?

“It’s an option in the Sailing Instructions and I’ll be surprised if none of the fleet use it”

KM your talking through a hole in your head

Small yachts would have been considered under the rule below

“SSANZ reserves the right to include or exclude any yacht”

We didn’t have one yacht ask it we would consider them

Easy to say there were 4 now that it’s happening, it’s a different story making sh*t happen and fronting up

• Upvote 1

I told you the same thing I’ve told anyone else who has enquired

Show us your up to it, and we will consider your application positively

However just saying that your boat is capable isn’t something that we can justify risking your life and our organisation on, there needs to be a level of accountability on all sides. Otherwise we aren’t doing our job, every entry is assessed for its suitability to partake in each event irrespective on size.

I’m currently working with a young guy that’s keen on entering his yacht in next years RNI. The yacht is on the minimum limit or close to it, I’ve been emailing the designer who has told me that the design that’s 30 years old now was originally drawn it handle this type of race, it wouldn’t meet the current stands for this however, but he will recommend the yacht as suitable after he has done a inspection and is satisfied that it’s been maintained well and is still in good condition. There will probably be some extra conditions to this entry due to its minimum size and two raitively inexperienced co skippers. This could be that we will expect a higher standard of qualifying, say two races of 250nm instead of just one, or something along these lines.

We need to be able to justify all our decisions in front of a coroner if it came to that.

It’s not the person that said they were up to it we have to justify our decisions to but their family when they don’t come home.

• Upvote 2

Definitely two fleets now

Titanium may just get around the corner early afternoon if they can keep that land breeze. 90nm to go from that point.

Katana notified us that they have pulled the screws on the top section of track from their mast and max hoist on the main now is second reef, it hasn’t hurt them yet but I’ll be guessing that they don’t want it to go light again

Via facebook via SSANZ website...

URGENT HELP REQUIRED FOR TEAM MOTORBOAT II. This morning while trying to negotiate our way out of a windless hole just outside of Milford Sound we broke our prod. Breeze was only 5 knots but with a crazy 4m swell and sloppy seas. The gennaker overloaded it. We need a carbon fibre tube 3m (or near to) long, 100mm outside diameter and at least 6mm wall thickness, delivered to Stewart Island ASAP so we can compete in the rest of the race, which will likely restart mid to late next week. If anyone has any leads or can assist, please text +881641414993 for the boat direct. Or call Jacs on 027 375 8323 and she can liaise with us. We will cover all costs and happy to pay for tube. In the meantime we will battle on down the Fiordland coast.

Update for all watching the trackers this morning

Titanium almost there.

Motorboat have suspended racing and are heading into Dusky Sound to clear the remaining of their broken prod and tidy up, planning to be back racing within the hour.

Krakatoa are planning on doing the above at Jacksons Bay to make minor repairs and tidy up.

Katana have pulled the next section of track from their mast in the night then decided to suspend racing and got a rope around the prop, looks likes they seem to be underway, they are still working on a plan but are hoping to get to Stewart Is for the next leg one way or another.

The others all report to be well but it’s getting cool. The scenery of the southern alps is great as they can see land for the first time in a week

• Upvote 1

It looks like Krakatoas rest up at Jackson Bay has been a tactical winner for them!

They are now close inshore doing 7-8 knots while Gale Force struggle a bit further out at 2-3 knots, and Coppelia just ahead doing 4-5 knots.

MB2 looks to have stopped again, that the same issue or something else?

Seeking shelter until wind drops a little

Skins said the sea state on the corner was heanus, forecast to be 17kts with waves as high as second spreaders, layed flat at the tops but becalmed in between with deep reefed main and #3 or less.