Counting Crew...

I'd love to do some of the SSANZ races in a couple of years. But it's unlikely that My wife and I will be able to find babysitting - maybe for one, but unlikely for two under 4y olds.

Do such little ones count as crew to prevent us from entering?

I mean clearly they're POB, but it's not like they can take an active part in sailing... in fact they're more likely to suck up an entire crew member. Leaving the boat even more shorthanded...

For the ANZAC enduro race, the cruising division is allowed to bring children under 12 along. This is no extras, so not super serious, and trying to encourage more boats out for a long weekend (this year it is May as ANZAC day is too near to Easter for people to want to race)

But for the triple series I can’t see it being allowed. Although I do agree it is of no help, definitely a hindrance.

What Clipper said, in that organisers are aware of it, and amend the SI's to allow kids under a certain age for the cruising div.

There are two handed races / series that are less serious than the SSANZ stuff. The Barfoot and Thompson series jointly run by Gulf Harbour and Weiti is an example (I might get flamed for saying that isn't too serious, I mean its serious, just not as serious as the Tripple series, B&T is run in summer, while the Tripple is in winter, for a starter), 

And Weiti run a short handed series with two mini series, his n hers and solo, which is a bit more relaxed than the B&T.

Anyway, the less serious races are more accommodating around carrying extra crew. A Mum and Dad crew did carry the kids in one of those series, although they started doing too well I think and another competitor started grumbling. Their's was a trailer boat so it could be argued that the extra weight of the kids on the rail added to righting moment and an unfair advantage.

Alternatively there are crewed races that do the same courses as the B&T series races (out of Gulf Harbour), so you can race with the kids and comply with the SI's. I'm not sure about the legality of using autopilots in a fully crewed race, it may fall under stored energy. Depends if you need an AP two up. We generally don't (we have a tiller that reaches the front of the cockpit, so knee steering while sail handling is straight forward).

I would say it depends how seriously you take it, if you are going out for a family sail and get mid fleet or worse, I can't imagine it being a problem. If you want to take podiums and win the series, then questions may be asked. (For the less serious club racing, B&T, def not. Would you race a 100 nm with 2 under 4?)

There are loads of less serious races where the kids would be welcome. I remember racing in DYC series where one of the other boats fell badly off the wind for a while on beat. Thought maybe they'd broken something. Talking to them later, they'd had to stop and make sandwiches for the kids...

I would say it depends how seriously you take it (you've not met Christina - gun or nothing!) if you are going out for a family sail and get mid fleet or worse, I can't imagine it being a problem. If you want to take podiums and win the series, then questions may be asked. (Fair enough, but what questions might be asked? "We'll be disqualifying you because your 4-year old made some pretty legend course calls"?, I mean if having a 4 year old and a 2 year old aboard helped one win a series, it might start to get pretty embarrassing for the other teams...), (For the less serious club racing, B&T, def not. Would you race a 100 nm with 2 under 4?) - Honestly it depends on the weather forecast.

Anyway, just wondering in the context of the other threads surrounding crewing and participation etc. It's also possible that you've got everyone and everything lined up and then at the last minute the baby sitter breaks a leg and you have to pull out of the race. Although probably easier to find a new babysitter than a new crew member who is skilled and has a YNZ affiliated club membership...

Sea sickness pills knock them out for a few hours :twisted:

Something I hadn't considered, but will ask Dr next time I'm there... 

After watching the promo vid I’m sure your wife won’t have any trouble finding crew while your babysitting

TBH, that's actually a major concern... Sexy wife, sexy boat and some other dudes sailing it with her while I baby sit...

I've been giving this some thought (not your wife or your boat btw) but the logistics of racing with 2 under 4. If your keen on 'proper' racing, dealing with a poo explosion right when you want to do a stylie gybe set may put a dampener on your experience... Certainly I know my boy (4 yr/old) love to 'help' daddy with everything, so there is a good chance he'd start popping clutches or letting halyards go the second I've got my back turned.

Anyway, I reckon you could use one of those professional baby sitting services. These are the types with a national agency, fully vetted and normally with early child hood qualifications. They are targeted at things like when you want to go to a wedding in a different town and need child care during the ceremony and aftermatch. We've used them where the carer looks after sproglet in the hotel the wedding is being held at. Mates have used this type of service as well. Not cheap, but always reliable and professional (i.e. you'd be comfortable leaving the kids with them).

Given the outlay for the boat etc and general effort you'd put in to give a series like the Triple a serious go, I reckon the cost of a professional baby sitting would be money well spent. I can't remember any agency names, but a quick google up would give you a good idea of the caliber of what is available.