Call for Licensing

As long as it not revenue gathering, I'm all for it! No end of idiots over summer that have no idea of the rules and just don't care. NZ Police maritime unit, where are they?

Harbourmaster: all boaties should hold a licence | Stuff.co.nz

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/110392575/harbourmaster-all-boaties-should-hold-a-licence

Sorry, I totally disagree. It hasn’t worked anywhere it’s been done - made no difference, an IS simply more cost for Boaties...

Wouldn't the same argument hold true for drivers?

Just bear in mind that the Waikato Harbour Master, who the stuff story is based on and is quoting, is also the same Harbour Master that likes to hide in mangroves and ping boaties not wearing life jackets when going into town.

Nothing there justifies licencing.

Second Clippers comment. There are plenty of rules that need enforcing, without adding more rules or requirements.

Not convinced that licensing will improve the standard of poor seamanship we encounter every time we take the boat out.

Agree with Clipper that the Harbour Master could raise the level of effort to enforce the speed and separation laws as they stand and the pig Devonport ferry could do with a replacement that has finer hulls that would create less wake.

If however the bureaucracy chooses to garner extra coin from the boating public by implementing licensing make it apply only to stinkpot owners as they in our experience are the main offenders.

Went down the East coast of Aus, amazed by the number and aggressiveness of the Police boats.  Constantly looking over your shoulder for the flashing lights....  Being Aussies, everyone else just ignored them.

Education is the key.  Waikato HM says mandatory education is the key, I would favour a campaign similar to the anti-litter one of my youth.  

There is still some "freedom" on the water.  By that I mean that you can do what you like, within the boundaries of good practice.  Note I didn't say "rules"...

I'm with Crazy Horse on this one.

Firstly, going back to the licenced idiot driver analogy yes, there's a lot of silliness on the roads as I know only too well from patching people up - in my opinion there are no motor vehicle accidents, just lots of motor vehicle stupidity. But, when you come to an intersection you can have a reasonable expectation that the rules of the road will be adhered to. Even accepting that there are a lot of loony drivers out there, do you prefer to drive on roads knowing that fellow motorists have a licence and therefore know at least something or do you prefer to drive amongst unlicenced people who have absolutely no idea as to the rules?

Secondly, the colregs state that if you are the stand on vessel then that's what you must do - stand on. Like everybody else here, I've been in close quarter situations where you think to yourself 'I hope that fellow knows that he's the give way vessel.' I'd rather not have that concern.

Thirdly, to own and operate a vessel on the European waterways the minimum requirement is an ICC for inland and coastal waters and a CEVNI endorsement if you want to use the canal systems. If you operate a hire vessel on the waterways you do not need any licence at all. In practice this means that when you have a close quarter situation with a private boat on the restricted waters of the canals you know exactly whos going to do what. If you are in the same situation with a rental boat, well.......

If you wish to go to sea you must know what you're about.

For if you go but do not know,

The sea will surely find you out.

Basically there are no "harbour masters" north of the BOIs. I think the guy in Whangaroa (rebuilding a huge herreshoff in his front yard) gets out sometimes. The guy in Mangonui has no boat and runs the local motel, only deals with moorings and the guy in Houhora is a transport company owner who is never seen. The cops need either coastguard help or borrow a rib from fire if they have a water job and do no policing above BOI at all and that's only seasonal when they send a rib up for new year.. Farcical. I admit, in the time we have been up here it seems the idiots stick to themselves, usual GP wakes as the pass 10m away at 15kts thinking thats all OK but more and more are getting out on the water as our population expands rapidly.

Basically there are no "harbour masters" north of the BOIs. I think the guy in Whangaroa (rebuilding a huge herreshoff in his front yard) gets out sometimes. The guy in Mangonui has no boat and runs the local motel, only deals with moorings and the guy in Houhora is a transport company owner who is never seen. The cops need either coastguard help or borrow a rib from fire if they have a water job and do no policing above BOI at all and that's only seasonal when they send a rib up for new year.. Farcical. I admit, in the time we have been up here it seems the idiots stick to themselves, usual GP wakes as the pass 10m away at 15kts thinking thats all OK but more and more are getting out on the water as our population expands rapidly.

Doesn't sound like I'll need a licence north of BOI then, with enforcement like that, mwahahaha

Now all I have to do is get around biosecurity and the Regional Council, and I'll be home and hosed

Doesn't sound like I'll need a licence north of BOI then, with enforcement like that, mwahahaha

Now all I have to do is get around biosecurity and the Regional Council, and I'll be home and hosed

CH got checked last week in Mangonui....past. Asked them what happens when fanny worm is found and told "you get a letter". They wouldnt expand on that but good luck avoiding them if you have it on your hull.

I for one would support a licence and registration scheme as long as the fee went in to maritime policing and funding boat ramps/dinghy skids.

Spoke to a couple tassie guys and yes registration + licence (on the water spot checks) in turn has given them better facilities rather than relying on the tax/rate payer. Unlike most states no fishing licence required but thats a separate issue.

The way it stands in NZ today there is absolutely nothing stopping me from buying a 60/90ft power or yacht from a broker,nothing on the broker to say I am competent,buy the thing hammer down at westhaven,roll every dinghy over, roll the jug of hot water over while IT and KM make a cuppa,pass at 10ft doing 30knots. My defense where are the rules written?? no mention when I brought it, Boat handling skills like berthing well thats a different matter.

No name or number but if there is a name it means nothing as its not recalled anywhere,unlike most yachts with a number can be traced eventually if ownership details are 10yrs out of date.

An old fella we use to go out with in the early 70s use to say there goes another Friday night John Burns special!! 

Every time somebody thinks something needs fixing, they leap for a new law or regulation instead of enforcing what already exists. The list of laws/regs in our society keeps growing but without enforcement, they're meaningless anyway. Start with education and some peer pressure doesn't hurt either and then enforce what currently exists. If after all that is done properly and a problem still exists then find a way to target that problem with a new reg/law without adding unnecessary sweeping laws impacting all.

• Upvote 4

So what problem is trying to be solved?

I can't see a problem.

The best I've heard so far is certain posts saying they don't like the wake from launches / fizzies, and or too close for their comfort.

Where are the fatalities?

Where is the property damage? The collisions, the wrecked boats, the injuries?

Seriously, you'll worrying about first world problems. Some spilt tea for harrytom - get a travel cup, or better still, drink beer (out of the bottle)

I can see a harbour master that wants to build an empire, he may be meaning well, but he himself said this year has been quieter than past years (maybe education is working?)

The government is required to enact legislation for this to happen. Is that the governments priority?

No.

I'd spend that time sorting out some real issues (or at least talking about it... like most governments)

Would I put government time into boatie licencing, or into mental health?

Would I put funding into policing how far apart fizz boats pass each other, or put that funding into Police / family violence / suicide prevention.

And while I was at it, I'd stop Regional Councils from trying to take over the world. Imagine how much funding could go into mental health if we dismantled the Regional Council empires?

I am sure everyone on here has never made a mistake, has done all the relevant courses, never exceeds 5 knots where prohibited, never rowed ashore without a PFD etc.

Those registered jetskis never break any rules right?

Some enforcement would go along way.  Along with and first, some serious public education.

• Upvote 2

Every time somebody thinks something needs fixing, they leap for a new law or regulation instead of enforcing what already exists. The list of laws/regs in our society keeps growing but without enforcement, they're meaningless anyway. Start with education and some peer pressure doesn't hurt either and then enforce what currently exists. If after all that is done properly and a problem still exists then find a way to target that problem with a new reg/law without adding unnecessary sweeping laws impacting all.

Quite so.

I don't want to see any additional regulations,fees or fines imposed other than the requirement for some sort of learning centred around the maritime rules of the road and and also based on the type of vessel the applicant intends to operate. Doesn't seem very onerous or unreasonable to expect that people have some knowledge of the vessel they have and the environment it operates in.

But concerning fees and fines, NZ has a blinkered big stick mentality that unfortunately will never change.

In the rest of the world's city parks the sign reads 'Please do not eat the daisies.' In NZs city parks the sign reads 'Do not eat the daisies. $300 fine or 6 months imprisonment. '

Authorities here do not understand that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, as my dear old mum in law used to say.