Thetford disappointing

Holding the knob in for 5 seconds is quite common, the norm even. It’s while the flame failure heats up, great safety feature. If the flame blows out, the sensor cools and it shuts the gas off. That’s why you have to hold it in - while the sensor heats up. I’d be surprused if it wasn’t legally required. Sensible regardless.

Is there even a different common flame failure device that doesn’t require ‘holding the knob in’?

You may be able to fit a piezo ignition?

Holding the knob in for 5 seconds is quite common, the norm even. It’s while the flame failure heats up, great safety feature. 

My 30 something year old gas cooker has that. Its nothing new, and easy to get used to (kind of). Just remember your not putting an electric kettle on at home, your on the boat doing quality boat stuff.

We prefer to use the extra long beehive matches. Have tried those long cigarette lighter things but find them to be unreliable, and normally need filling at the most inopportune moments.

I would say though that lighting the oven in a sea-way is a bit of a fiddle (like putting pies on during a SSANZ race). The stove is gimbled, so if I hold the door open with one elbow and push on the knob with the other hand, the oven swings right back and I've got to practically climb in to get the match to reach the gas at the back of the oven. Its easiest with oil skins on, so I've got some insulation for when the flame starts getting a bit hot (hate letting the knob go too soon making the flame go out and have to repeat the whole process...)

I've never had a problem with matches.

KISS.

The issue is around letting go of the knob too soon, easily solved by holding the knob in longer.

Lighting the oven / stove is not normally the most challenging thing that occurs on my boat...