YNZ Race Regulations Cat1-Cat5; Anomalies and concerns

36 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Outboards qualify as emergency rudders as far as I know . 

Yes they do, there is no requirement that the emergency steering be a rudder. But you have to be able to show it works. ANY sea conditions is a high hurdle

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.05.37 AM.png

55 minutes ago, 44forty said:

At a guess if both boats were trailer yachts under the NZTYA regs 

Thats questionable. Is Cat3 different to Trailer Yacht Cat A

In any case, turn to the NOR, Sailing Instructions, for Coastal Classic it is Cat3, Trailer yacht rules don't apply

I'm not aware of any Cat3 race that also allows Trailer Yacht Cat A but I'd have to check

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.20.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.24.52 AM.png

Well there’s food for thought there for ROs and inspectors .   Both boats had great crews and excellent skippers racing within the rules but their outboards were found wanting a bit more Hp on the day 

There are wider issues at play. Sundreamer when I bought her only had one 9.9hp in one hull. It couldn't motor directly into 15 knots of headwind. Yet on the night we lost the rig in the middle of the gulf, motored directly into 20/25 knots home with no problem. So rig up or rig down it had options. If your life depended on it, cutting the rig might be your getting of jail card if your motor isn't up to it. Ran Tan 2 considered that option when it lost its keel and had they been closer to shore might have been.....

19 hours ago, Jon said:

I think I’ll change the SSANZ NoR to “ Flares must be current according to manufacturers date stamp”

or the likes

I’ve checked probably hundreds and only ever looked at expiration date, have I been neglectful ?

No Jon definitely not.. flare expiry moved from three years to four years from date of manufacture within the last policy cycle...simply a case of practice ahead of policy

Went to change the ownership over and thought for a laugh i'd tick trailer yacht instead of keelboat. Whoa, what a mistake. within days had a call from NZ Trailer Yacht Association requiring me to submit the boat for design approval, future self righting test. Oh and IF approved i'll get a new sail number in the 4000's. But I already have a number in the 9000's can i just put a T in front of it? No, you will be issued a 4000 number, you don't need the T, you will have to change your sail numbers unless you apply for personalised number. And no, even though sport trailer yachts are in the rules, they don't want to know them.

$100 fee for TZTYA approval then a choice of getting new numbers on 4 sails or $400 to YNZ for a personalised number (my existing number)

Considering options

7 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Went to change the ownership over and thought for a laugh i'd tick trailer yacht instead of keelboat. Whoa, what a mistake. within days had a call from NZ Trailer Yacht Association requiring me to submit the boat for design approval, future self righting test. Oh and IF approved i'll get a new sail number in the 4000's. But I already have a number in the 9000's can i just put a T in front of it? No, you will be issued a 4000 number, you don't need the T, you will have to change your sail numbers unless you apply for personalised number. And no, even though sport trailer yachts are in the rules, they don't want to know them.

$100 fee for TZTYA approval then a choice of getting new numbers on 4 sails or $400 to YNZ for a personalised number (my existing number)

Considering options

Well that was helpful wasn't it?...isn't it funny that that someone, some entity,  somewhere is mandating you do something for a disproportionate admin fees so you can pursue a choice you enjoy and have paid for with your discretionary allocation. No wonder we have problems growing the sport in NZ and encouraging new builds when this sort of crap is still going on 10 or so years on after that particular boat was built...I'm well over it. I have raced against DP,  T number or otherwise in a T (and beaten it on line). However, too ignore the sports T rules is very poor form-that is like your local council ignoring the Building Act 1991 or your accountant ignoring FBT.

8 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Considering options

Why do they need to approve the design when they’ve already approved it ? 

7 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Why do they need to approve the design when they’ve already approved it ? 

Its the registration as a T not S750 design approval as I see it that is the issue...Obviously, NZTYA has only been allocated by YNZ a certain range of numbers and a 9000 number isn't one of them. Computer says no...

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

No, you will be issued a 4000 number, you don't need the T

Are they saying all 4000 numbers are Trailer yachts? Don't think that is right considering my Piedy was 4191 and my sportboat was T4161.

5 minutes ago, Adrianp said:

Are they saying all 4000 numbers are Trailer yachts? Don't think that is right considering my Piedy was 4191 and my sportboat was T4161.

T???4161 the vickers right?

4 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

They need to see bunks if it's a TY

Does your boat not have a v berth ?  I’m ruddy confused  .  my boat has been approved and it’s not entirely built to the design . it has a T number and an NZTYA handicap but no SRI.