Smaller foresail - depowering my rig

And the best 2 cents ever spend, Thanks Boo.

We need a library or somewhere to store posts like that.

I've been asking for a function to 'save favourites' to years now.....

And the best 2 cents ever spend, Thanks Boo.

We need a library or somewhere to store posts like that.

I've been asking for a function to 'save favourites' to years now.....

I know and agree it's a bloody good idea.

There are some other pearlers well worth keeping alongside Boo's.

Sounds like new sail time for me. That sounds expensive.

The only questions is whether to keep the current worn no.1 for light winds and buy a yankee style no.2/3 for 10+ knots. Or do I buy a new no.1 and hope it furls well enough to take me through until I hoist my storm jib?

A new mainsail is probably called for too.

My 2c worth....

I would go for a #2 somewhere around 125-135%, high cut so that it reaches and furls well. You can furl it down to a #3 when it blows. You probably don't need a #1 unless it's really light or you have lots of weight on the rail to make it go. For the cloth get Booboo to quote up a cruising laminate vs regular Dacron. The cruise laminate will hold it's shape well and still be durable. Higher purchase cost but lowest cost per NM.

And spent the extra couple of minutes at the end of the day to make sure the sails are packed away nicely. It can extend their life if you do.

I cringe at what I see some people do to new sails. Booboo and his colleges must damn near cry when they see their hard work being trashed they way some do.

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated.

Anyone know a good place for second hand sails? Or maybe I should get my current sail recut - I just had a new UV strip put on last year at great expense and don't want to waste it.

Right there is your 1st problem "2nd hand sail", if you want to go to windward in all conditions, the sails needs to be cut as a roller reef sail

So was the old sail a cut down #1 from a Nova 28?

How does your current sail perform in 0-12 knots? if the performance is acceptable you could get a 120-135% furler for everyday sailing then if it gets light you can drop your furler and hoist your old sail.

Cruisers rarely look at sail shape when deciding if a sail is good or not to them if its still in one piece its good. Dacron generaly has a poor shape life compared to a laminate.

Try , cut jib flush the mast no over hang , then roach the main , fully batterened , loose footed , and tension the battons to form some shape firm , and you will fond the helm soft in all weathers ,and it frees up the slot and she sails much better , ,so full hight jib , flush ish at the mast ,works for me ,

• Upvote 1