Marine pests prompt local hull cleaning rule rethink in northern NZ

I just saw this article talking about a joint initiative between the Northern, Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty regions with respect to marine pests and boats. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/biosecurity/news/article.cfm?c_id=500816&objectid=12213849

More details and to leave feedback for the public consultation go here.

https://www.bionet.nz/control/marine-pests/marinepests/

Well sh*t

The preferred option was Option 3 (go even further and make rules for other pathways too; 37%)

The preferred option for hull-fouling rules was Option 1 (clean hull at all times; 42%)

"Overall, there was a clear call for greater action to address marine pests across the TON regions"

. Mature female worms can produce more than 50,000 eggs during each spawning event. Spawning occurs over a prolonged autumn-winter period and a female may release multiple batches of eggs. The reproductive cycles are influenced by local environmental conditions, particularly water temperature and light exposure. Larvae may drift in the water column for up to 14 days.

I still have yet to see evidence that a) recreational boats are a problem B) that they have a sh*t show in hell of stopping the critters no matter what they do.

You mean the critters on the bottom or the ones making the decisions, either way rec boaters loose, everyone wants a clean bum, but when cleaning grids are disappeared, effective antifouls are neutered, and the only folk who seem to be allowed to return sea grown organisms back into the sea are the mussel farmers, we (rec boaties) are the easiest target.

• Upvote 2

Here's the link to the summary of submissions on regional pest management strategy for the upper North island, worth a read.

When you have four options to choose from on a question and 63% choose something other than option 3 but option 3 is presented as the preferred option you know the either the writers have no idea about statistics or they were directed to present a certain bias

"The preferred option was Option 3 (go even further and make rules for other pathways too; 37%)"

https://www.bionet.nz/control/marine-pests/marinepests/

You will also note a very consistent significant difference of opinion from the Northland submitters, they are the ones actually experiencing some of what is proposed.

• Upvote 1

Yep...Steve Pope and BOI are correct. No action on those bringing in these pests. Namely,mainly, ballast water in ships. Of course they all stop at the 200 mile and discharge dirty water. Of course ! I've posted before when Enforcement officer inspected my boat and I alerted him to this and his response was priceless...'we can't get to them but we can get to you'. Yep I'm here from the govt.and I'm here to help.

almost exclusively from non boat owners....

Maybe they need to ask the non boat owners how much they are willing to pay to keep my boat clean, or even better tell them how much it costs and that they will be charged for it and see how they feel then.

It is very rare that costs are allocated by a government or council to those that want the change, usually the cost is on those forced to change.

Its not decided yet so we need to keep submitting and informing, the points have been well made in the submissions, the summary touches on most things well but the executive summary is definitely presented with a bias. You could take the same statistics and make a good  case for keeping things as they are or cutting back a bit.

Alright .... went for a scallop dive inside Whangarei harbour on Saturday 19/9/19. 6m deep, heaps of legals but you guessed it a Mediterranean Fan worm every square 2m. Not attached to live scallops as per some literature I've seen distributed but attached though the silt/sand to the sea bottom.

Please if any NRC etc are reading this, stop charging us. The war is lost, move on and catch the next big thing early this time.

Ps the scolly's are fat and yummy!

• Upvote 1