Chains Ropes and Anchors Enduro

I’ve got Miss S abeam of the Mokes via AIS

But we won’t get much from the tracker until they get reception off the barrier

There’s a 10kt westerly at the Mokes and a 4kt easterly at Tutukaka so I’d say some of the back markers will be suffering about now.

I think Start Me Up has offended the wind gods somehow.  Drifting again.  Until today I have been gutted I couldn't do this race with Paul....but I have changed my mind now.  Happy not out there drifting further away from the Poor Knights!

Looks like a slow and painful race. It's a drifter! 

Most boats in the shorthaul finished: 6 out of 7.

Lots of boats the longhaul have pulled out (sick of slatting sails). 10 have pulled out so far.

Still a few racing out near Channel Island, and another bunch at the back of Barrier.

Coppelia now have to motor for 8 hours to get to the prizegiving.

Time Limit is 10pm tonight.

Nah Elly you got it wrong. No time limit in this race. I have Moving violation next to me and Dont stop me now in front of me. Light as but this is what shorthanded is about. Also beer for morning tea with Radar so life is bloody good!

After a wet banging and crashing first night we found ourselves further up the fleet than we thought a tender old 930 should be but as the sun came up the wind started to drop off for us approaching the hen and chicks. Shook the reef out and progressively worked our way up through headsails until we were left flopping about south of the Poor Knights at midday with Moving Violation for company. We were treated to seeing a lot of the bigger boats painfully squeaking around the Knights before the lightest breeze filtered in from the NW and we managed to crawl around at about 3kts just as darkness approached.

Made our 7pm schedule happy to be leading 930 at that point with Hotdogger tucked away behind and Start Me Up still stuck at the Hen by the looks of it.

There followed a couple of hours of watching boats doing 360’s and trying every possible trimming scenario to get some meaningful progress towards Cuvier, then some rudimentary maths concerning likeliness of making prizegiving/drinks based on the forecast, then the very real possibility of having to beat back to Weiti against a smoking Northerly afterwards, and decided to pull the pin to be back for Mother’s Day.

Autohelm on, Beanbag and a bottle of port for comfort and we nonstopped it overnight, starting about 9:45pm Friday and getting home at 11:30 this morning.

Interesting fact, at 5.5kts over ground and 3/4 throttle a Mercury 9.9 can push a 930 from East of the Poor Knights to the Weiti yacht club on 24 litres of fuel. Pretty slippery!

Nah Elly you got it wrong. No time limit in this race. I have Moving violation next to me and Dont stop me now in front of me. Light as but this is what shorthanded is about. Also beer for morning tea with Radar so life is bloody good!

Elly is quite right, there's definitely a time limit of 10pm on 11 May in the nor/SIs. You might be thinking of comments made at briefing relating to the fact that if you are using it as an rni qualifier then you could take as long as you want and it would still count as a qualifier.

Elly is quite right, there's definitely a time limit of 10pm on 11 May in the nor/SIs. You might be thinking of comments made at briefing relating to the fact that if you are using it as an rni qualifier then you could take as long as you want and it would still count as a qualifier.

Yes, apologies to Elly from SMU!  He just sent a text to say yep, he was tired brain this morning and just sent me a text and asked me to jump on here to correct himself.  Thanks for getting ahead of this apology raz88 :thumbup:

SMU and crew on board at the moment already qualified for RNI, and realise not going to finish before 10 but are still determined to finish.   They ain't quitting!  

SMU and crew on board at the moment already qualified for RNI, and realise not going to finish before 10 but are still determined to finish. They ain't quitting!

Good on them! True "enduro" spirit :)

Finished at 2.02 this morning. Epic ride to the finish, shame about the cutoff but I think we've proven to the powers that be we deserve to be in the RNI fleet. Gotta love the SSANZ organisation, one day will make it to one of the messirr parties! Hope to be back for the LEWMAR triple with a few others from Whangarei.

• Upvote 3

Finished at 2.02 this morning. Epic ride to the finish, shame about the cutoff but I think we've proven to the powers that be we deserve to be in the RNI fleet. Gotta love the SSANZ organisation, one day will make it to one of the messirr parties! Hope to be back for the LEWMAR triple with a few others from Whangarei.

Start Me Up’s SSANZ Chains Ropes and Anchors ANZAC Enduro Longhaul Report!

The campaign started a couple of months ago, laid up in hospital, realising how close to death I almost was, I was determined to do this race to prove I was back on my feet and going hard to family and friends. Fast forward to last Wednesday, my crew aka Radar realised my #1 was more stickyback than sailcloth and sourced a brilliant Lidgard unit but needed work. Luckily he also works at Lidgards and they allowed us to give this sail a nip and tuck ….. Legends.  Next day, start day, tried to pass ourselves off at CRA as professional sailors, didn’t work, staff member described us as sailing bludgers, just rude!

Anyway, start time I conveniently parked us under the Harbour Bridge without wind so the fellow Ross 930’s could get a head start. I’m a considerate competitor! So off we go, running a #2 and full main, very nice. Hitting out towards Tiri and we made a crucial error, heading out into the Gulf, the old Ross just didn’t like it, thus in a short amount of time our competition made 6 miles on us just like that. So we got on with it and didn’t give up but by the time we reached the Poor Knights we were in a totally different wind pattern to everyone else, now 5 hours at current speed behind similar boats but ahead of a couple. Rounded the Knights, lets see how this newly configured Lidgards #1 goes. Oh yeah, with the wind, not the flashest top end speeds but consistent as, we reeled in people and the ones we didn’t gave up and to me that counts as a win.

Daylight emerged Saturday with several boats within eyesight including Moving Violation a well sailed Elliott 7.9.  We charged slowly down to Cuvier Island knowing we could not finish by cutoff now but determined to finish. Darkness came and nav lights on third night out on a 215 mile race not flash but all good. Interesting light combinations out there, may pay to check yours, one white light or one stern light, or nav lights with a white all round are not a representation of a sailing vessel. Drifting slightly sidewards round Channel Island, then assym up and a bit of wind we’re off. I trawled the kite on hoist and pointed out to Radar that I’d caught a jellyfish! He immediately pointed out that I was a sexually active muppet and had put a hole in it! Just as well my crew is a sailmaker because the hole just got bigger.  Anyway this was just a demonstration of how tired we were. I got the helm and kept myself alert by seeing how many waves I could catch by listening to them, great fun. The finish was a bit stressful due to tiredness but the sense of achievement was huge. Yes it was a RNI qualifier but we had already qualified with the Akarana 350 so it was a classic case of completing a goal that got me out of hospital.

Many thanks to our supporters, family, sponsors and employers, without you we couldn’t have done it. Also to the others that completed Longhaul after cutoff, you all knew you were out of the money but pure bloody mindedness and the determination to knock the bastard off made you finish…. YOU ROCK!!!!

• Upvote 2