Boat Security at Mooring

I've got my boat going on a pile mooring at Tamaki River, Panmure very soon and I'm a bit worried about potential thieves and vandals from the nearby suburbs.

I've had a look at the marine retail sites -> security , and there isn't a lot there really (alarms and cameras). I don't have much faith in CCTV - I want to prevent it happening.

So, I'm interested in what others have done, and if it has/hasn't worked.

I've got a standard perspex forward boat hatch and the standard loose fitting vertical boards and slide over cover to the companionway with two padlocks and hasps, not unlike one found on a garden shed. This setup seems very soft and surely begs some s*** climbing on with a lever bar. 

I am on piles in the Tamaki and have never had a problem. Seems there are quite a few boats there that have owners staying aboard and that gives some security to surrounding boats. I have arrived on my boat late at times and been challenged by neighbors once a police chopper and several patrol cars turned up when we arrived late on a new to us boat and were using a torch to get ready for bed as the lights were not working. Some boats have flashing lights that may or may not be alarmed. I feel pretty safe there Lots of housing looks over the boats too.

Police launch turned up a few years back (middle of the night) and shone their spotty on us when on our mooring off little bucks (thought aliens had arrived!) So they were checking boats then and told us there was a "crew" who were making a living breaking into boats up and down the river. Our boat is (was) a little rough looking at the time but we added to that by letting old line hang over the side, covered the companion way with old sail bags and more rope and generally made her look not worth the effort. No break ins. They can look into portlights and go 'window shopping' so make it look a mess, hide any grog! (They were kids looking for alcohol too). Get to know other boaters too and give them your number to ring if they see anything.

I had a break in last year. Toolbox stolen, and a torch, but the electronics weren't touched. Whoever it was broke the hasp off the hatch cover - probably with a large screwdriver. Not hard to get in if you really want to, and I agree with Puff about more damage if you make it harder.

Since than I have put in an alarm siren that will sound if the washboards are lifted. There is a concealed switch in the cockpit to set it. Also a sign to say the boat is alarmed. No trouble since then. No longer leave a full toolbox on the boat either.

When on the mooring the VB has a full zipped on cockpit enclosure, within that space I have motion activated cameras in the cockpit which are both daylight and infra red image and record, can record a loop of about 5 days and it can also transmit stuff but Im still working in that bit. There is also a beam triggered alarm which sets of a 150 decibel siren which I am reliably told would be quite unpleasant to be hearin

I have motion activated cameras in the cockpit which are both daylight and infra red image and record, can record a loop of about 5 days and it can also transmit stuff but Im still working in that bit. There is also a beam triggered alarm which sets of a 150 decibel siren 

Heck, sounds like something out of a Jason Bourne movie.

:)  I understand what some are saying about tougher measures = more damage sustained. However, I am attempting to prevent opportunistic petty thieves, not stop short an organised crime ring. Petty thieves will be armed with a large screwdriver and maybe a bolt cutter and will be looking at hasps and locks and other flimsy devices such as this. I realise I can't stop them power sawing a hole through the GRP. 

I am relieved to hear there's not too much of a problem down at the Tamaki River near PYBC. However, there's one person in this thread who has been victimised in the last 12 months. One person out of... not many in this thread. Statistically that is quite a high crime rate - though I accept not accurate - it's just the way this thread went.

The old adage about locks keeping honest people out... here's my take on it ... 'flimsy locks and flimsy attachments only keep out honest people'.

I am interested in security measures which will cause the petty thief to move on to the next boat and leave mine alone because it looks to difficult for him or will cause him to be noticed. I quite liked some ideas here... https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/security-sailboats 

Thanks for your suggestions.  :thumbup:

Burglar alarm sign and a small plastic box with a small red slow flashing light in it worked for my father-in-law for many years on the piles across the river from PYBC

He made the light himself, had a 9v battery and a tiny bulb, flashed every 5 sec about and the battery lasted years. During the day you could hardly see it but at night was quite obvious when looking in from outside. It never did anything other than move them along to the next boat.

• Upvote 2

If you had the time you could set up a raspberry pi with the camera module and then perform motion detection on it to alert you if it detects moment in say the cockpit.

I don't know if PBYC would let you connect to there internet.