McCollum Bros digging up Iris Shoal ?

Was anchored in North Cove and could see that a large barge with a couple of diggers onboard was working at removing sand from the Iris Shoal area near Kawau - does anyone know about this ?.

It’s always been a good fishing spot and popular for scallops as well, but no more ?9DE5B3C6-D74D-4E10-9D06-C8DB99ACB260.jpeg

Been a bit too lumpy off Pakiri to suck sand so better conditions in the channel and a free feed of scallops as well.

Waa if you have pictures of those diggers operating take good care of them and any other evidence.

The permit for these environmental pirates is up for reapplication in 2020.

Currently two permits are active allowing extraction of 76,000 cubic metres of sand per year (near-shore Pakiri). In 2006, sand mining at Pakiri Beach was extended for a further 14 years by the Environment Court.

Sand has along with fresh water sadly become the new gold.

Will do, it was a strong easterly on Sat.

I usually see the self propelled barge on its way up to Pakiri on Sat/Sun afternoons in Tiri channel, if we are heading back to our marina. This barge was one I hadn’t seen before.

Dear Paul

I have called the Chair of the Kawai Island Residents and Ratepayers and discussed. he had heard of someone out there with lights on perhaps catching squid. Have forwarded your email to him (Andrew Fyfe) and also the editor of our community magazine, Michael Marris – stand by, they are bound to have some more info.

Dredging Iris Shoal over my rotting carcass bro. Had many dives there this summer, chocker with good sized fat as scallops.

Thank you for this heads up Paul. Look forward to a catch up soon

Regards

Scott Macindoe

LegaSea support crew

021 622463

I saw only one barge and it had two diggers working on it and when I looked again about ten or 15 mins later there was a pile of sand in the middle of the barge.

I watched it for half an hour or so altogether.