New Marine Farm - We OK with it or not?

A Consent has gone in for a proposed Spat catching farm, basically a mussel farm, over off Colville Bay on Coromandel.

The proposed new one is show here and is 86 hectares in size.

The 'Gazetted for marine farms' area (not sure what the means though) is 250 hectares.

Untitled1_page1_image1.jpg

As is usual the AYBA (Auckland Yacht and Boating Association) will have some input into this should it deem necessary. The fine detail is currently being sussed.

The 'recreational navigation' section in the screeds of paper work basically says 'recreational boats don't travel in that area so are not a concern'. It also says recreational fishing in the area will be fine, as long as they don't hook the gear which is understandable. That is pretty much the same as the farms further into the Firth, it's OK fish in and around but don't catch the farm please.

I can post a link to the Consent paperwork if anyone is that bored or has enough mind altering substances to allow them to read through it. It is 90% sh*t loads of butt covering blaa blaa blaa as per usual.

The question is - Do we, as gulf users, have a problem with this new proposed farm?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm leaning towards being against it on three grounds:   1. Creates a navigation hazard. Can be mitigated by correct lighting. But needs a condition that if it's found to be not lit properly more th

There is a full Nav light plan in the consent paperwork. It looks reasonable comprehensive.

When I looked at the charges a few years ago it seemed the resource management Act only allowed for charging for occupying marine space if it was in the council's coastal plan. There were only 2 counc

Posted Images

When I looked at the charges a few years ago it seemed the resource management Act only allowed for charging for occupying marine space if it was in the council's coastal plan. There were only 2 council's in the country that had it in there plan, one of which was Southland. The revenue is also supposed to go back to improving the environment. Southlands current charge is $717.70 per farm per year. Considering that the marine farmers often boast that a marine farm is more profitable than a dairy farm that is a piddling amount. A lease on a dairy farm would be in the hundreds of thousands. I don't think marine farms pay rates either but they will have other compliance costs as do land based farmers.

I'm not an expert on the subject but others out there may know more.