Sailors Corner closing down

Yup and even a deticated fishing shop couldn't survive down there but now two big retailers have gone there could be an opportunity.

We aren't owed a massive amount but will be interesting to see if we get it

Gappy I hope you get your money too, the point is that the sale needs to be competitive in the market place - I certainly would have parted with cash at the weekend, but a quick google search let me know that the sale prices weren't competitive.

I will be keen to hear about any future attempts to sell that stock.

No bargains yet, a voluntary liquidation brought on by one of the partners desiring to realise some capital out of the business so should honour vouchers. 

Yes Panuku are to blame for the increasing costs of Westhaven, and no any experienced chandler will not sign up to the new development - been pushed for five years as there is no parking not enough floor area and even with the offered rent holidays is not exposed to a lot of passing trade!

One brother tried to sue the other brother last year...

"Brother has fallen out with brother in the face of declining profitability for their Auckland marine chandlery business.  Faced with increased competition from online suppliers and new local competitors, Sailor’s Corner at Westhaven has seen annual gross revenue of over five million dollars in the 1990s reduce to $1.5 million by the 2010s."

In my experience SC carried better, if not top brands. Yeah their prices of some items were higher but they always gave a reasonable discount when one requested.

Burnsco have many items that are their own brand, some of which may not be of quality. We got pile of Hatch covers, looks to be made of thin canvas, did not last, they weren't cheap either. However they have a good online presence with many stores around the country.  

I would have thought that today would have been a top sales day. Run a skeleton crew and, oooh, I dunno, maybe have actual sale prices?

I was thinking about going for a nosey but having read what's on here, I'll just stick to Burnsco

SC advertising their closing sale tomorrow on the radio. Thought the 3 in Westhaven meant competitive prices, that then also applied in Chch with Burnsco. Here the staff can often be next to useless but does that mean minimal wages. Who doesn't Google before going shopping anyway. I spend lots on Amazon. Note none of the premises at the Lyttelton marina have found tenants.

SC advertising their closing sale tomorrow on the radio. Thought the 3 in Westhaven meant competitive prices, that then also applied in Chch with Burnsco. Here the staff can often be next to useless but does that mean minimal wages. Who doesn't Google before going shopping anyway. I spend lots on Amazon. Note none of the premises at the Lyttelton marina have found tenants.

Wow - what a collective of random assumptions. Your glaring lack of understanding of economics 101 is troubling whether it be leasing near shore space, competition or wage structures. Let alone an understanding the potential scale of a particular market where there are significant barriers to physical market entry and little in the way of barriers to virtual entry. Do you really believe that 170 berths is sufficient to support any type of retail, marine related or hospitality business other than a coffee cart?

Got to be competitive with online or overseas prices. I try to buy locally as I usually want it yesterday. Recently needed some car parts,checked repco?superchep etc Found what I wanted on T/M,didnt realise it was an aussie dealer, 1/2 nz price and landed/delivered in 24hrs by dhl free shipping and up to date texts from dhl as to where when it will be delivered. How often has one been in to a marine store and have to order whats needed to be told 2/3 days and you have to follow it up?? or staff steer you to one brand as they have no idea on the other brands,

The store is starting to look a little empty, however much more to sell still. I am told that Everything is 30% less rrp now. 
Boaties love to browse through boat bits, so I feel there still is good market for a marine superstore like SC, and I am not talking about store with low cheap/quality goods  :| 

The last time I was in Lyttelton there were 2 coffee carts so that blows you out of the water. What I find interesting is Chch has 3 yacht chandleries- same as Auckland has/had.

170 you say. Don't know how many in Chch but enough to support 3 chandleries. The boats all around the harbour ie Cass,Purau,Corsiair, would never prefer to shop at the marina instead of going thru to Chch.? What does your bullshit marketing diploma think of that?

The CHCH market is not big enough for the 3 chandleries. Obourns have a rep that travels and they supply gear to other shops. The "Boatshop" is also Marine Mail Agencies and much of their stuff is sold online all over NZ and overseas. Burnsco's sell not only Boat gear, but also cater to the Campervans/Caravan market. All three also compete with the Businesses in Marlborough because most of the boats in the Marlborough Marinas are owened by CHCH people. If the three (actually there are or were 4) had to reply on CHCH alone, they would not survive.
When I was in Chandlery 30yrs ago, we competed against all the CHCH guys, also against Bartons in Wellington, but most surprisingly, Sailors Corner and we struggled to compete against them. They had buying power, so we had to be smart in how we did things.
I do have to say, the marker has changed dramatically over the years. The Marina was once half the size, yet there were 3 Chandleries on Picton. Now there are 3 Marinas all three double the size of the one and only two Chandleries and both very quite compared to all those years back. ck then, Christmas used to see lines of customers at the Counter. Today I see hardly anyone around at Christmas.
Interestingly, I have never seen so many Cars/Trailers in all three marina carparks as I did this Easter. There was no room and Picton had a large Padock being used for parking.

Went to get some specific stuff from Sailors Corner today. Only they were closed.

Were closed yesterday as well.

Sign on the door for opening hours said they would be open today, but it was crossed out and closed instead.

Did try phoning yesterday and today, no answer and no message. Web page is dead, so its kind of hard to spend money with them.

In the brief time I was out front, there was a steady stream of people rocking up and going away again...