Westhaven Marina Berth Rental Rates

"How much it costs" isn't particularly relevant.  But down here the (entirely commercial and locally considered high) rates are almost exactly half those listed, for much higher quality pontoons and environment, and includes power and water and wifi.  So someone is taking the michael.  I sure hope they don't see the Westhaven prices and start getting ideas...

Supply and demand, crank the price until you have empty berths then bring it back a smidgen. At the moment there’s waiting lists.

Inflation, capital cost, pay rises has no place in this discussion

If you really want to see high marina prices, come to Whitianga and that’s a co-op. I’m paying 750 a month for 10m berth alongside a walkway but for convenience and the fact I’m only on it from labour weekend to Easter means I’m happy with it.

I can sympathize, and these ever increasing marina charges are the reason all our yachts lived on moorings in NZ.

By comparison, the canal boat spent the (northern) winter on a 12m berth in the municipal marina in Nancy. In the way of facilities offered it is comparable to marinas in NZ. For this we pay NZD153 per month from October to April and somewhat more over the summer months. Being owned by the city I don't know if the fees are subsidized.

And France is expensive when compared with Holland where a 12m berth in a privately owned marina is in the region on NZ1700 per annum.

It would be interesting to know how they can do it so cheaply, or conversely why a berth is so darned expensive in NZ.

Thinking about it,I'll answer my own question.

Go to any marina in france or Holland and ask for a berth, short or long term, and they will have one for you.

Supply and demand?

Supply and demand?

Commonly called profiteering ,greed.

Panuku has become parasitical ,endlessly ramping the cost of berths , ground rents and leases etc for their local owners/customers whilst dolling out sweet deals hidden under the cloak of commercial sensitivity to foreign investment funds.

Lot 18 was firstly promoted by Tom Warren as a public facility, I was at the meeting.

Here is another example of Panuku in action.

Ask them what is exactly going on at The Vos yard.

Nobody in the classic wooden boat community actually seems to know.

The budget / plan does not run to having a working slipway,duh.

One would have thought that seeing the magnificent fleet of working vintage yachts in Auckland that Panuku would have clearly seen those communities as logical partners to delivering a fit for purpose facility.

Puff thanks for the post re Whitianga berth costs.

I am off to sell a grand child so we can prepare to pay $750 PM when the next annual act of theft and robbery blows inevitably through Westhaven.

Thinking about it,I'll answer my own question.

Go to any marina in france or Holland and ask for a berth, short or long term, and they will have one for you.

Supply and demand?

And also the RMA, if it wasn’t so difficult we would have built more marinas here or extended some.

It can’t be a good business model to be turning away customers, so ideally you should run at 80 to 90% so you never pass up on an extra dollar sailing by.

This is timely.

We are thinking of over wintering in holland at the end of the forthcoming northern winter and have just now received a quote.

We chose a smaller marina a few km's north of Amsterdam because it has all facilities on site and is within easy reach of the airport for the flight home.

So, for 7 months October to april the price on the hard stand is €893 (approx NZD1550) which includes crane in/out, cradle hire and taxes.

NZ prices are just stupid expensive.

Interesting to see the above comparison with places overseas.

My experience has been the opposite, Marinas in Tahiti/Panama/the med where I have spent time have been at comparible if not more expensive than westhaven.

If big increases every year continue it will see us moving out elsewhere at some point. But it was always going to happen over the next few years in the closest marina to the America's cup bases.

Tahiti is known as one of the most expensive places in the world for everything (living, etc), primarily due to the massive transport costs of getting anything there.

Comparing Westhaven to a marina in Tahiti is telling, and saying the costs are comparible is somewhat alarming...

Point taken, perhaps Tahiti isn't the best comparison.

But while I don't like the westhaven prices and price rises, I'm still not convinced that we're way worse off than the rest of the world. While there are some examples above of places where there are cheaper prices, my experience has been that westhaven is in the ball park of other places overseas.

Perhaps a better comparison is the cyca marina in Sydney. Yes also an expensive city, but so is Auckland. And their rates were well more than westhaven when I was there 2 years ago.

Or RQYS in Brisbane which is around $800/month for a 12m berth compared to westhaven new rate around 880. Westhaven slightly more there but in the same ballpark.

Sold both grand kids and the cat to fund the next season of berth fees.
Stunning day so we decide to bugger off for a couple of nights.
Get to marina and wife has forgotten to pay someone’s wages so returns up the hill to sort , whilst I continue to boat and get ready for departure.
Wife returns to marina but has no swipey thingy so asks approaching blue shirt wearer for access to finger.
Given unpleasant third degree interrogation demanding boat details and berth number not once but twice, instructs random boater to follow her to our boat.
Crikey left me gobsmacked.

The post was not a personal attack it was a descriptive verbatim response to my partner being on the receiving end of a completely bizarre extraordinary response from a marina employee.

The other employee that was party to the exchange walked off in a embarrassed haze.

Moving on.

Now free of grand children and cat with extortionate marina fees settled the good ship Priscilla journeys to the Gulf of Dreams and the hardy crew swim with dolphins in Woody Bay dine with Neptune and moor in West Bay with a stink pot Monet that runs their f**king motor to power ,jug , microwave , electric blanket and marital aids constantly.

However the crowning gleeful glory was Pikelet has had a birthday.F2B340E7-9492-4421-8EE7-D692C22B3EEF.jpeg

Said it before and I'll say it again. On a global scale NZ = expensive... very very expensive. 

12m berth in Westhaven = $883 month

12 metre berth in Athens = €200 month or $336 a month at current exchange.

12 metre berth in La Rochelle = €279 or $469 a month.

12 Metre berth in Brest = €150 or $252 per month. 

Sardinia? €328 per month 

See the pattern? You're stuck in a monopoly, polyopoly/gouge fest.

NZ is a great place to sail, but its not 2 or 3 x better than elsewhere in the world. 

The difference between a fair rate, and what you're being asked to pay is money that could easily be used to 5x over to keep your hull clean and free of marine invasive species.

Clearly, if you live there, you're stuck with it, but it doesn't stop it hurting.

• Upvote 1

Have to agree NZ is expensive, just back from a week of business around the world staying in multiple Hotels.  You notice it immediately but I'm also struck by the fact our customer service is not what it used to be and quality is certainly gone especially (if it ever existed) for food. 

Saying that I'll be happy to get back to the South Island this morning and away from People.