Moving to NZ

Hi all,

First post here, looking for advice...there is a possibility that myself and partner might be moving down under to Auckland later this year. If we do it will mean selling our boats in the UK and buying something there. Having looked at a few websites it is clear that none of the marques I am accustomed to are common in NZ. So my questions are -

1 - What are the respected makes of late 70's, early 80's yachts around the $50-80k price

2 - when does "the season" run from/to

3 - are yachts generally kept ashore over winter, what sort of bad weather might we expect if left afloat?

4 - which Marinas within an hour of Auckland are reasonably priced and well sheltered etc?

5 - would we face any issues if we choose to live aboard during the summer months?

Any advice gratefully received.

Firstly yes we do have winters but sailing is definitely an all year activity, nowhere in NZ do yachts winter out of the water.

Secondly tell us what sort of sailing your into ie, fully crewed racing only or cruising only where do you fit into this spectrum? And also what type of yachts you have now.

This will help us recommend designs

Thirdly, most marinas aren’t keen on live aboard for some reason, personally I believe having permanent residents actually keeps the places safer as in less crime etc.

The answer to questions 2 will determine best marina

Hi all,

First post here, looking for advice...there is a possibility that myself and partner might be moving down under to Auckland later this year. If we do it will mean selling our boats in the UK and buying something there. Having looked at a few websites it is clear that none of the marques I am accustomed to are common in NZ. So my questions are -

1 - What are the respected makes of late 70's, early 80's yachts around the $50-80k price

2 - when does "the season" run from/to

3 - are yachts generally kept ashore over winter, what sort of bad weather might we expect if left afloat?

4 - which Marinas within an hour of Auckland are reasonably priced and well sheltered etc?

5 - would we face any issues if we choose to live aboard during the summer months?

Any advice gratefully received.

How big do you want? What did you have before and would you like something similar? NZ boats tend to be lighter and faster than the UK designs.

Boating in NZ is all year, virtually no-one takes boats out for the winter. A cold day in Auckland is under 10 deg C, we get about 3 of those a year.

No marinas in Auckland are cheap. Depending on size of vessel. prices start at around $700 per month and go up.

Many (most??) marinas don't allow livaboards, or restrict their numbers.

Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz in the boats section and you'll get an idea of what's around. 2nd hand boat prices have dropped radically in the last few years, some owners have not realized that yet!

Welcome aboard crew.org.nz!!

Beale 33

Farr 1020 or 1104

Lotus 9.5 or 10.6

Davidson 35

Stewart 34

To name just a few to start looking at, but if I were you I’d get out here and do some midweek club crewing then walk marinas where you still can plus get a broker to show you a few then Trademe

That should get you started

As for a marina, if your on the south side I’d go Pine Harbour, north side then Gulf Harbour. These are the best marinas to cruise from imho

Currently have a 27ft cruising yacht, plus a share in a 36ft one. 

What type of boats are they?

There are a few around here that are familiar with UK boats, will give us an understanding of the type of boat you like, and what around here would be equivalent. i.e. Contessa 32 verse a First 31.7, or a Westerly Consort verse a Halberg Rassy etc. 

Hi Manic76,

NZ, at least in the view of most here, is rather blessed with good designers, though tend to orient towards designing for good sailing characteristics and performance rather than live aboard comfort.

Farr and Davidson you're likely familiar with, personally think Farrs late 80s designs were stronger but in part that reflects a trend at that time towards a better understanding of foil shapes and consequent improvement in handling characteristics.  For the time period you've mentioned, Farr was probably mostly doing performance boats so probably not what you're looking for.

Of the common designers that are more likely new to you.  Alan Wright, many designs but Lotus probably most common.  More cruising oriented as a rule and if one of his boats had bad handling characteristics, I can't think which it was, they're good though most in the 25-32 range which may be a little small for you.

Jim Young, has done some stunning work but many of his boats are race oriented, look at his boats but guessing it won't be quite right for you.

Des Townson, likely closest to the ttraditional UK designs of that era, never did a boat that didn't sail well though most will be older now so there will be quite a variation based on how well the boats been maintained (a problem no matter what you're looking at from that time period).

Will also see a good few Ross and Elliott designs, most are race oriented so likely aren't going to tick the right boxes.

Will also see quite a bit from Ray Beale, most are a cruiser racer combination with probably slight emphasis on cruising.  Beale 33 is the most common which is a pretty good design, plenty of other Beale designs though not many of any one design built in numbers.

Many others, Owen Woolley (Raven), Paul Whiting ,Four or so different Lidgards, Bob Stewart but have to stop somewhere or I'll never finish.

As a very starter guide to NZ designers of the 70s and 80s, hope the above helps.  As said, many boats won't have been maintained that well, designs themselves as said we think we're rather lucky, too many good designers around then for bad ones to make a living

Westhaven Berth rates which are recent and consistently rise every year.

Some years the rate of increase is more spectacular than the preceding season.

Marina is full.

Long waiting list so best to purchase yacht with transferable marina which will require permission.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.28.47 PM.png

Thanks all, appreciate the comments. Jon & MarkM will take a closer look at those makes, I have seen some of them already of broker sites and TradeMe. The midweek crewing idea is good, not least as it will be a chance to meet people!

What type of boats are they?

There are a few around here that are familiar with UK boats, will give us an understanding of the type of boat you like, and what around here would be equivalent. i.e. Contessa 32 verse a First 31.7, or a Westerly Consort verse a Halberg Rassy etc.

Both are Gibsea's, late 80's and early 90's. So more Beneteau like.

You can liveaboard at Pine Harbour, Bayswater and Hobsonville marinas. They have an additional charge for liveaboards. Also, Hobsonville has a limit placed on the number of liveaboards and I believe there is a waitlist to liveaboard at that marina. You can also liveaboard on a mooring but there are waste requirements to be met.

Try Fairway Bay marina adjacent to gulf harbour, it's small with friendly management, a community feel and was welcoming to live-aboards when I was there a few years ago. Gulf harbour has a few live aboards too. If you want to be central then can't beat Westhaven but it's very expensive and only allows liveaboards on the one pontoon which has pump-outs at every berth.

NZ rules on holding tanks are strict so make sure to buy a boat with a big tank and look for a berth close to a pump out facility or with easy access to the open, deep sea if you intend to live aboard. If in Auckland you have to go right outside the islands to empty the tank (or use a pump out).

Northland has really silly rules - if you're on a mooring you have to leave at least once every 5 days to empty the tank, although I think that is being extended to 10 days it takes no account of the size of your tank!

Any marina near auckland may have a waiting list. If you want a berth quicker. some of them operate an unofficial "don't ask don't tell" policy for live aboards. You can stay on board a lot without living aboard, as long as you don't hang the washing out or get bank statements posted to the marina office (privatebox.co.nz can scan your post to email. good service).

If you decide to expand your range a bit further form Auckland then Kerikeri is beautiful and I have some live-aboard pile moorings and a jetty mooring there which i rent out.

I'd forgotten that Fairway Bay allowed liveaboards. They have the cheapest fee for for that too. I thought that Gulf Harbour had stopped allowing liveaboards or has that changed? I also thought Westhaven only allows international visitors as liveaboards these days.