What have we forgotten?

As a spin off from the inverter question.

We get the boat in a week and a half. We'll spend 2 weeks aboard from the day of handover, likely just hanging out and sorting stuff. Unlike taking over an existing boat, or moving from one we have to a new one, this thing will be essentially bare. There's no preexisting pile of cruising crap nor equipment stash that's been carefully refined over years.

So, equipping and victualling; We've got lists of lists of lists...

What have we forgotten?

The top 5 things that you discover missing on Day 2, Day 4, that you REALLY need?

Guest 000

I hesitate to say this - but for us, hot water bottles and a decent umbrella.

Now that you've all stopped laughing, a couple of decent LED torches, spare batteries (lots) little things like gas lighters or matches which always get overlooked, beef up your first aid kit, spare bulbs and a heap of different fuses, a couple of funnels, one with a quality filter unless all you diesel is coming from an impeccable source and if you are a little pessimistic by nature sufficient tools to fix anything that may go wrong.

Guest 000

Ha Chris, I expect that the Dr's new boat wont have fuses or bulbs, LEDs and circuit breakers! :-)

Oh? I am behind the times. What sort of vessel does the good Dr.have?

Day 2 rum

Day 4 seriously, should have bought a lot more rum

^This. Is. Timely. Would be horrid to turn up and have nothing - I'll talk to my (Cuban) supplier...

Thanks ChrisC. But your list does include valuable info... i.e. the Funnel esp. for diesel refill. Did you buy a good filter one in EU? 

Torch is still on the list. I have a couple good headlamps, but looking to order the Ryobi ONE+ LED spotlight,

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/18v-one-dual-power-led-spotlight

large_7b6a9c4f-addc-4c0f-b5f9-2257893655

it'll run straight off my drill battery and also straight off the boat. Any better ideas?

Diesel cleaning was my first thought too , but that's well covered.

Toolkit was a priority when I bought a boat, good general socket set ..you'd get by with a 1/4 drive for a new boat, ring spanner roll, pliers and vice grips, screwdriver set.crescent. Allan keys. I also have one of those small screwdriver kits with every drive head under the sun and its a go to more often than I ever thought.

String , ie a roll of 3 or 5mm general purpose tie up/down stuff, other spare cordage to tie a dinghy down etc.

On the lamp subject,I was given one of those 90 dollar Burnsco led spotlights...frikken great thing. I'm sure there will a version of available.

Multimeter.

Dinghy! How convenient.

Tools. True. I’ve put together a few things for this purpose over the last month but still missing the socket set, long nose pliers, some screwdriver sizes and a couple other thongs (hammer, axe, coil of #8 wire, fence battens ...)

Also, I’ve been trying to buy some sunbrella fabric to make a boom tent but NONE of the suppliers write back, wtf? I’m nearly ready to buy it from sailrite in the US and pay the exorbitant postage.

Dinghy is another story, I’ll post photos depending on success levels...

Do you want the Sunbrella here in NZ or over there ? How much do you need? Or do you think freight would be ridiculous from NZ also?

I think I can get hold of the stuff, or something better. The Canvas guys at work talk about it all the time and they often talk about another product that is better and yet cheaper.

Need it over here, Wheels. Don’t know what postage would be but it’s 100USD from sailrite. Think I need about 12m @1500 wide. Should give me enough for corner reinforcements and a few other little projects.