Trimaran - Now Found!

Thanks IT, that's the boat.  That site isn't marvellous though, the POP Yachts site has better piccies.  How do you post links as you did above please?

Dave

I Just posted the link in the text. Works for youtube as well, but if you want pics you have to attach them. Click "more reply options at the bottom of the posting window."

The C34 you linked to looks a nice example. One advantage of the C 34 is that it folds flat to 3.8 meters beam, so you could keep it in a standard mono marina berth.  A quick look online suggests they are well thought of but firmly in the fast cruiser category performance wise - A bit like the F36. The price drop on that? Well the market is pretty stale at the moment as you've no doubt noticed. If it passed a survey would have to be a good buy assuming someone wanted a boat that large.

For something a bit quicker/cheaper; Trilogy would have to be a consideration - but not much in the way of an interior.

My boat (Mysterex) is a Graeme Delaveau designed Nicky Cruz 25.

Hi Greg, thanks for your reply, your boat looks lovely and I really like the colour scheme, reminds me of an Italian sports car...nice.

Those Aussie tris (Trilogy, Hasta la Vista) are pretty tasty looking aren't they?  Seem to be out and out race boats though and that's intimidating for me, whilst I'm keen to get into a bit of casual racing (if there's such a thing) I reckon those boats would be a real handful for a multi noob like me.  Plus the upkeep of the go fast gear I suspect would be pretty dear.

The F36 is more to my liking, and with the price drop she's on my radar now.  I can't imagine the boat will hang around for too long at that price though.

You're bang on about the C34 being cruisier, it was marketed as a C34SC (Sports Cruiser) and appears to have been built to compete with the Corsairs and Dragonflys, which didn't go so well for them unfortunately.  Apparently though, in the right conditions and sailed well it could keep up with the F/C 31s, although that does seem a bit hopeful to me.  What I like about them is they appear to have a very generous freeboard and the floats have something like 200% bouyancy, so I'd assume they are a bit drier than other tris, and maybe a bit more forgiving of a ham fisted driver.  Being a folder is a "nice to have" I think, although I do prefer the in plane fold rather than the Farrier style from the perspective of leaving the boat folded in the water for a bit.   

Trilogy is a great boat, but I would rather have the Contour for cruising I think. The F 36 is pretty much a go anywhere boat. I think the aft cabin on this one would provide some much needed privacy if cruising with kids or another couple. Either boat will cruise along at very respectable speeds in any sort of breeze without drama.

So...I've had an 'interesting' few months in my tri search.  Not good.

Does anyone know what happened to Hyper?  I'm back to square one so all options are on the table.  (Except the B33 on TM, no offense!!)

Dave

Hey man,,,I've got Vayu...middle of the road,,,Skip Johnson 38,,,Matt Stewart had it for a while and put a Clissold bottom end on it,,,should be quicker than it was previously,,,Matt seemed to think it was a 20 knot boat,,I've had her a few years and have her a paint job and new 34 HP cat /shaft etc...nice layout,,,027 2905 381,,,rommelcart @gmail.com...are my contacts,,,she's in Opua and looking pretty tardy but has good bones,,,,cheers chris

Screenshot_20200628-213423.png

Morning Chris, sorry I should have updated the title of this thread, I ended up buying a project boat in Kerikeri in September last year.  Still ongoing but getting closer to going sailing, this virus thingy hasn't helped progress!

I appreciate you getting in touch though, and good luck with your boat, trimarans are a niche market as I found out...

Cheers,

Dave

Any pictures of yor

5 hours ago, Dave said:

Morning Chris, sorry I should have updated the title of this thread, I ended up buying a project boat in Kerikeri in September last year.  Still ongoing but getting closer to going sailing, this virus thingy hasn't helped progress!

I appreciate you getting in touch though, and good luck with your boat, trimarans are a niche market as I found out...

Cheers,

Dave

Any pictures?

By the way, love the F36/39 and would appreciate a photo of her please.  I had a good hard look at one in Sydney last year but had to pass once it had been surveyed.

I'm assuming you built your boat, if so, much respect!  I've had a look at the Ravenswing and Fram blogs and know that there's no way I could undertake such a massive project.  How far around the world have you been?   I'm guessing you are stuck here in NZ, I suppose there are worse places to weather this Covid 19 storm.

Cheers,

Dave

Was interesting to Google Blaydon Racer and find this thread.  We bought her early this year and have her out of the water adding some love to her.  Looking forward to getting her out for a sail in the coming months.  If anyone has any information on Blaydon racer I'd be keen to catch up for a yarn as the couple we bought her from has very little information and the owner before isn't contactable.

Blaydon Racer is a Young trimaran withe twin masts called a Sketch and was built using West System in Tauranga by the late Dooley Wilson for his son Nick Wilson who still lives in Tauranga on Devonport Road. It was raced mainly in offshore races in the BOP area. Search Dooley Wilson Blaydon Racer and there is quite a bit of interesting information available.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1
On 7/07/2020 at 8:45 PM, Blaydon Racer said:

Was interesting to Google Blaydon Racer and find this thread.  We bought her early this year and have her out of the water adding some love to her.  Looking forward to getting her out for a sail in the coming months.  If anyone has any information on Blaydon racer I'd be keen to catch up for a yarn as the couple we bought her from has very little information and the owner before isn't contactable.

Hey welcome aboard guys! Great to see someone finally bought Blaydon Racer, very cool boat. I had the pleasure of talking with Nick Wilson, the original owner as he was prepping her for sale, he had it beached on the sand outside his home up the harbour, great guy, with a lot of love for his boat, I got the impression he was very sad about having to let her go.

Where do you have her on the hard? I'd be keen t come by and say hi, and if you're ever at a loose end near Bridge Marina, pop in and have a coffee, C-pier. we're easy to spot, the only boat there to take up two berths! 😆