Trimaran - Now Found!

And might I add to congratulating you in picking up this boat.  She was on my short list but eventually thought she'd be too much boat for me to handle.  I was intrigued however by the Google search I did which resulted in a UK bus!  There must be a story behind her name and please do share when you discover it. 

I'm not sure if you've done so but the Multihull Yacht Club has a Facebook page, you might find someone who knows the boat there.

Cheers,

Dave

On 29/06/2020 at 9:51 PM, Dave said:

Sorry for the delay, first time trying to post photos so struggling a bit...

Here's a before

Before 1.jpg

And here she is currently, not quite ready to go sailing but nearly!

After 1.jpg

She is gorgeous, looks like allot of fun to sail,  Thanks for posting

On 29/06/2020 at 10:02 PM, Dave said:

By the way, love the F36/39 and would appreciate a photo of her please.  I had a good hard look at one in Sydney last year but had to pass once it had been surveyed.

I'm assuming you built your boat, if so, much respect!  I've had a look at the Ravenswing and Fram blogs and know that there's no way I could undertake such a massive project.  How far around the world have you been?   I'm guessing you are stuck here in NZ, I suppose there are worse places to weather this Covid 19 storm.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Here are a few pictures. She was built in Bellingham, WA when Ian Farrier had an office up there in North America in the late 90's. I found her languishing on the hard on San Juan Island, been there for three years because the owner couldn't part with her in spite of not sailing her. She looked a bit sad and unloved at that point in her life. We love her

IMG_1160small.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

phone[1].jpg

table[1].jpg

F36trailer[1].jpg

IMG_20150910_155208050 (2).jpg

Rangiroa (7).jpg

Rere Cove Small Whangaroa.JPG

• Upvote 1
On 9/07/2020 at 9:39 PM, Dave said:

And might I add to congratulating you in picking up this boat.  She was on my short list but eventually thought she'd be too much boat for me to handle.  I was intrigued however by the Google search I did which resulted in a UK bus!  There must be a story behind her name and please do share when you discover it. 

I'm not sure if you've done so but the Multihull Yacht Club has a Facebook page, you might find someone who knows the boat there.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We were looking for something very different, but we knew the guys who bought the berth and that was how we came to find her.  As to the too much boat to handle, I'm changing a few things, adding new steering for a start and completely re-rigging which will enable my wife to steer her and all the controls back at the cockpit.

I searched Blaydon Racer Tauranga which narrowed it down a little for me.  The Blaydon races are a famous race in the UK so it probably came from there in the naming.

I've already had a few of the old sea dogs come over and regale a tale or two of her impressive history so we're building up a bit of a picture.  I'm sure I'll find a few more things as I search further.

I'll be sure to add us to the Facebook page though.

On 9/07/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ladyhawk said:

Hey welcome aboard guys! Great to see someone finally bought Blaydon Racer, very cool boat. I had the pleasure of talking with Nick Wilson, the original owner as he was prepping her for sale, he had it beached on the sand outside his home up the harbour, great guy, with a lot of love for his boat, I got the impression he was very sad about having to let her go.

Where do you have her on the hard? I'd be keen t come by and say hi, and if you're ever at a loose end near Bridge Marina, pop in and have a coffee, C-pier. we're easy to spot, the only boat there to take up two berths! 😆

Hi there,

We tried to contact Nick but he hasn't replied and I didn't want to push it as I had been told the reason for the sale was due to health.  We have heard he was passionate about the boat and it has been really well looked after.  We have had to do very little from a repair side of things and in fact it has all been maintenance really.

We are currently on the Sulphur point marina hard over by the painters and have been for a month now.  Still have a few more jobs to do and then we can get her back in and sailing.

I'm down there most days after 10am if you're around otherwise I'll pop over and say hi :) 

Well, colour me jealous, I might have drooled a bit looking at those photos!  Just beautiful and congratulations on getting her out where she belongs.  There must only be a half dozen or so of these yachts around so you are super lucky, I'd love to have one but sadly out of my reach for the moment.  It looks like you have a daggerboard, the F36/39 I was keen on last year had a centreboard but the same kick up rudder as you have. 

I really like the timber accents in the deckhead; is that Durakore or is the cabin top built from ply?  Reason I ask is that my boat is Durakore which has been painted over, I've yet to tackle the inside so am pondering whether to bring some of the timber out like yours is, looks really nice.  On the "to do" list for next winter probably, I need to go sailing...

Anyhoo, thanks for the post, and once again, welcome to NZ, I hope your (enforced) stay here is going okay.  If you make it down to Auckland please let me know, I'd love to host you for dinner and talk trimarans!

All the best,

Dave

Whoops sorry BR, bit tardy in replying to you.  Yep it's amazing who you run into in the marina, I had just put my boat back in the water and a bloke wanders up and tells me he was the owner once removed.  Didn't have much time so only had a brief yarn with him but I have his details so will chase him up for more info on the boat as I get closer to sailing.  Mine was built in 94 so I'd like to put together a bit of a history of the boat as well, cool to find out about the adventures had in years gone by and looking forward to adding my chapter.

I hope your yard is cheaper than the ones here in Auckland, eye watering fees, particularly for a multihull.  Good luck with your refit, I'm in the process of shifting all the lines back to the cockpit myself, hate drilling through the deck!

Cheers,

Dave

On 8/07/2020 at 10:31 PM, ballystick said:

Blaydon Racer is a Young trimaran withe twin masts called a Sketch and was built using West System in Tauranga by the late Dooley Wilson for his son Nick Wilson who still lives in Tauranga on Devonport Road. It was raced mainly in offshore races in the BOP area. Search Dooley Wilson Blaydon Racer and there is quite a bit of interesting information available.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Hi There, thanks for these.

I had found this one in the searches and it was in fact where I got the thumbnail image from :)

I'm keen to understand better how the water ballast system would work as it is installed partially but not fully and it seems Nick never used it, might be useful further offshore should we need it, I'm happy to reduce sail though if need be.

On 12/07/2020 at 9:30 PM, Dave said:

Well, colour me jealous, I might have drooled a bit looking at those photos!  Just beautiful and congratulations on getting her out where she belongs.  There must only be a half dozen or so of these yachts around so you are super lucky, I'd love to have one but sadly out of my reach for the moment.  It looks like you have a daggerboard, the F36/39 I was keen on last year had a centreboard but the same kick up rudder as you have. 

I really like the timber accents in the deckhead; is that Durakore or is the cabin top built from ply?  Reason I ask is that my boat is Durakore which has been painted over, I've yet to tackle the inside so am pondering whether to bring some of the timber out like yours is, looks really nice.  On the "to do" list for next winter probably, I need to go sailing...

Anyhoo, thanks for the post, and once again, welcome to NZ, I hope your (enforced) stay here is going okay.  If you make it down to Auckland please let me know, I'd love to host you for dinner and talk trimarans!

All the best,

Dave

Hey Dave... She has a Western Red Cedar strip planked core above the waterline and that's what you are seeing in the  epoxy clear coated areas on the overhead. I'll try to attach an article that Ian sent me a few years ago.

It looks like the PDF with the full description made it at the very end, it's a tiny thumbnail after the pictures. This has Ian's description of the build as well as reference to Red Shift, a truly amazing F9a  from the Gulf Islands.

The boat in the pictures is ours.....

Foam and Cedar Nehenehe.png

Main Hull From Ian.png

Interior.JPG

P1010341.JPG

FoamstrippingWebsterF-36.pdf