Auckland to Tauranga

A possible event could run but in what form?

Race there Thursday afternoon start

Short island race Friday midday start 10 to 30nm depending on wind

Drinking ashore Friday night

Saturday 0900 start 20 to 50nm island race

Saturday night ashore Prize Giving

Informal race home Sunday

Just for starters

All crew has to stay on the boat they race on, no mothership programmes

But I’m not running it so you decide

Race there Thursday afternoon start

Short island race Friday midday start 10 to 30nm depending on wind

Drinking ashore Friday night

Saturday 0900 start 20 to 50nm island race

Saturday night ashore Prize Giving

Informal race home Sunday

Just for starters

All crew has to stay on the boat they race on, no mothership programmes

But I’m not running it so you decide

don't follow. leave AKL thursday afternoon. when are you imagining arriving in TGA, with a Friday midday start?

Interesting that it’s 64nm from both Westhaven and Tauranga.

And if you got enough interest from north it’s 64nm from Sail Rock as a starting point from Marsden cove, Whangārei, Tutakaka and further north

Legends was conceived for boats to participate as much as compete. We’ve tried to blend cruising and racing. That’s what makes it so compelling. We get lots of boats that won’t race normally but the regatta is at the right time to get boats that have Been in the marina for the winter to get out and up the coast.

Auckland boats have always been invited and there has always been an Auckland start line. Has been a Whangarei one too. Initially it was a joint event with Whangārei/mercury bay and Mount Maunganui clubs. We want to see as many non racers as racers. The rules are drawn up to motivate people to join in. It’s about fellowship as much as boating.

This thread was about Ak to Tga. Having a racing Mercs regatta will definitely be popular, at the right time of the year, but would kill any chance of A2T being revived.

A Tauranga race week would be brilliant (because I live here). But we all suffer from shortage of volunteers as much as entrants and I doubt it would last long.

Watching the trends, I’d say the interest is in short handed racing, so why not add A2T to SSANZ series?

I would be in for a race to the Mercs but obviusly not on CC weekend. I have never been there, too far for my family to cruise to.

Reading David Thatchers book:

Mercury Cove ( at the head of Hururi Harbour) is sheltered in all wind directions, a low ground swell does enter the anchorage in strong southerly wind directions. There is plenty of deep water in the first half of the cove.

Nice photos in the book.

Maybe a race the next day with the Tauranga clubs to the nearest supply shop.