Carbon air batteries

Is this what you are talking about? I sent them an email last week and got this back

Thanks for your email and showing interest in Firefly's Microcell Carbon Foam technology. 

We currently do not have any distribution agent in the New Zealand region. However, if you can please let us know what your requirements are. And accordingly, we can supply you with the batteries from our manufacturing unit in India. 

Firefly currently has 12V 116Ah and 4V 450Ah model readily available. Catalogue for the same are attached herewith for your ready reference. 

Request you to please go through them and let us know if you have any questions. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Regards,
Ujjval

Team Firefly | Operations | Firefly International Energy | email: info@fireflybattery.comsite: fireflyenergy.com

All my research indicates these Carbon batteries, by Firefly are the bees knees for normal people, and far superior to AGM (normal being people who can't be bothered with the quantum physics of LifePO4 type batteries and all the weird stuff people that are into these type batteries love to talk about , but which bores me to tears). 

So, it is beyond comprehension some Kiwi marine battery importer has not got their A into G and started importing these.   
You can import them yourself via Bruce Schwabb, but the freight is eye watering,  

The firefly lead foam [as they term it] are really unique in the consumer available batteries with the lead carbon chemistry, as they are a drop in replacement for most lead acid/agm legacy charging equipment. Most other available Lead carbon batteries require lower absorption and float voltages.   

IF and only IF,  your charging equipment is as adjustable as Victron Mppt Smart solar charge controllers [i am only familiar with what I have],  there are other lead carbon batteries available on the market that are as good and in some cases better.    If you have to overhaul your entire charging system to cope with a battery upgrade,  you really need to talk to a pro, to weight up all the available options and also consider Lithium chemistries. 

As an aside and often mistaken for being the same, Lead Crystal is very different and should only be considered if you can hook up to shore power or run a generator daily to meet the exacting charge requirements.  

I don't have anything to add to the Carbon Foam story. The following is just some geeky battery news and some of you will likely glaze over if you read further.
I try to keep up with the new battery ideas being proclaimed, but there are so many now, it is near impossible to do so. And very few ever seem to make it to market.
Anyway there is one I have had my eye on now for some time and there is news that it is going to be in production next year with the manufacture of 18000 units. Although they had stated they were making some as far back as 2014 and nothing I know of has been on the market yet. So time will tell. Nor do I know what forms they will be marketing if they do manufacture. Anyway, check out Dual Carbon Batteries by Ryden. https://revolution-green.com/ryden-dual-carbon-battery/
And there is also rumors that the Japanese company has been working with Tesla on the Tesla S
Sorry, there is no more up to date website.

mcp, There are heaps of different variations upon the theme of the ole lead acid battery. All of them seem to have some kind of improvement around the Anode design of the battery and All of them have claims of huge improvements. But so far (as far as I know) only the Firefly seems to have ever made it to market and even that one has struggled to survive.

I have just received an email from Firefly saying they wanting to expand and are looking for distributor for their Carbon Foam Batteries. Not my game but would be keen to buy one if someone was bringing them in.

Maybe someone on here could look at adding them to their existing business? PM me for info if you are interested.