Poor mans electric winch

Ive been considering one of these for a while. On IT I have no electric winches, and not easy to retrofit without other compromises. I've read good things about these;

UC1%20with%20drill%20no%20background%20s

Its a Milwaukee  M28 right angle cordless drill with the chuck replaced with a winching chuck. They are still pretty expensive (Circa $900 delivered to NZ) but I must say I'm impressed so far. A mate who has one says it will winch a 100Kg man to the top of his rig 2 x without recharge. Recharge is 1 hour. I'll go test mine this weekend if the weather is ok. At this point I've just winched up the main, which was easy and FAST!! Way better when single handing....

$900 sounds a lot, but when compared to any other drill of that kind of torque power, it is not a bad price at all. For those that have arthritus or problems with arms/wrists etc, they are a good cheap way of keeping you sailing for a few more years. Think of what one electric winch costs in comparision.

If you were to get the 18v "Hole Hawg" version, there is a 12v charger as well. I don't know if the performance of the 18v version is comparable, but they do drill some huge holes with it, it looks grunty enough. Still $600 or so, but certainly a good way to get the main up if you're getting on in years ;-)

Looks like a useful thing to me. Currently we use our very old and original Nilson rope windless up in the bow for winching up the rig or hauling the tender up.its just a secondary unit now .Tender must be about 85 kg all up with motor and fuel.

We have a cordless drill of that brand, it wasn't cheap but the quality is superb. if you have a mate travelling to the US you might save a bit so long as it has a 12V charger.

easy to tether.

Why does it need to be right-angled?

Because the torque required to spin the winch must be resisted by holding the power tool. The 16 inch length of this tool from the rotational axis makes it easier to hold than most winch handles, which are 10 inch and right angled for the same reason.

I have a Makita battery drill that runs a 6 amp battery turning Maxwell 2 speed and the fulcrum effect is no issue.

However if you have 2000 Euros you can have a Ewincher.B4CE97AC-9EE5-4AAF-85D8-4AEC4AADC8C3.jpeg

Wonder how many they sell.

Hah the Winchrite is notorious for losing the vital bit from it’s end.

Personally if I was looking to a powered winch option I would install a small pot hauler Seawinch from Neilson.

5297FA2A-9F17-43A8-B50F-828401F55753.jpeg

5a/h batts, one hour charge, mains only unfortunately. Mine is 110v charger, but 240v is available. I use a small 110v inverter.

Actually the mod for the M12 and M18 chargers from 110 to 240v is very easy. I got the 110 M12 charger and have done it.

Instructions here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ed4frjioO4

I saved a lot getting the Milwaukee drill at home depo last time I was in the US, and the parts for the mod were about $15NZD online.

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine who runs a junk rigged ketch uses one with great success.

Due to the amount of halyard needed to be pulled in due to the block ratio , it makes it way easier for him when sailing solo (which he does a lot of the time).

Actually the mod for the M12 and M18 chargers from 110 to 240v is very easy. I got the 110 M12 charger and have done it.

Instructions here:

I saved a lot getting the Milwaukee drill at home depo last time I was in the US, and the parts for the mod were about $15NZD online.

But it's not an m12 or m18, it's a m28. Totally different charger.

Using it today was great - raising the main now an easy 1 person job, and the headsail furler a piece of cake.

But the battery is $240, and you still need the charger - does that not add up to the same amount, $900 odd??

Well, I've now had a weekend out using it for a winch handle, including on the coachroof, and its awesome! The speed of the unit is much faster than manually winding, and it will lift the main in high gear, no problem (No batt cars, old, round slug system - lots of friction). In low gear on my (2 speed) winches, it is really powerful - as good as a reasonably fit man, but it doesnt get tired. Battery lasted the whole weekend, and was about 1/2 down on its batt gauge. Pretty happy with it so far...