Poor mans electric winch

I think you will also find that IT's unit is splash proof or water resistant. Milwaukee introduced it for Winch duty many years ago and I expect they would not have suggested, or continued to suggest it for such work if they had not made it water resistant in some respect.

My poor old shoulder doesn't like winching and I hate sails flogging so I decided an electric winch was needed.

An off the shelf electric winch was way beyond my budget so I explored other options.

The Milwaukee 28V right angle drill with custom driver is a great option and a lot cheaper than the Winchrite and E-Winch and, of course, it can be used as a drill.

I have a Makita 18V drill and tried that but it struggled and I could feel it was going to burn out (40' yacht).

Then I came across and old golf cart at a local "tip shop" which I bought for $40 and cannibalised for the Lemac 180W/12V motor and reduction gearbox.

The photos tell the story.

Yes, it operates off the boat's batteries and so has a lead to deal with but this doesn't seem to get in the way any more than the spaghetti of halyards and reefing lines. 

The housing is fairly well sealed and with the main winches on each side of the companionway under a dodger they are fairly well protected from spray. 

The only real innovation is the base plate which engages onto the stripper finger on the top of the winch and prevents the motor assembly from rotating. 

Simply locate it in  place, hold the vertical handle, operate the two-way switch. It provides powerful two speed winching and now I just have to avoid damaging something by winching too hard!

IMG_20200731_113713.jpg.83da9090e70b369afbd9663b9f9734f3.jpg

b.jpg.1e657760738c632cb008a825d8c69dca.jpg

• Upvote 1