Sold Boat

After 18 years of owning Priscilla it has sold and passed to new owner.

Crikey which twit stated that the 2 best days of boat ownership are the first purchase date and the sale date.

Feel like a stunned mullet.

However at $650 pm berth rate I had to admit financial defeat so thanks Kevin Lidgard and Co for the unsustainably unaffordable parking option for our princess that inversely was responsible for directly driving down the value of our long held family adventure machine.

Off to have a rum or ten.

Sorry to read that. 

I noticed in France that many boats are in great nick, even the old tubs. The owners have money left to maintain them because marina fees are only €200 a month for an 11m berth. That includes free careening on a washed and treated grid, unlimited electricity, water, security, free checks on your boat while you're away, free moving your boat if it needs it, free docking assistance if required, free wifi, free unlimited parking for your crew, free supermarket pickup and drop off, and they're happy if you liveaboard. Lift and 72h on the hard is 200 bucks.

I don't care how you slice it. Akl Marinas are grotesquely overpriced and under delivering in terms of service. How many boats are sitting unmaintained on marina berths because ALL the owners spare cash is going into the monthly fee instead of maintaining the boat/ antifoul etc?

• Upvote 2

Don’t despair. That $7200 saving will get you a nice charter in Whitsundays or Tonga. Our strategy was to downsize to save outgoings, do regular sailing on smaller or other people’s boats and spend the savings on a charter.

Turned out that the actual approach has been join a syndicate (which has achieved the other people’s boat but) and regularly charter. With friends we get on a nice big cat and are way ahead of the expenditure we used to have.

Sorry to read that.

I noticed in France that many boats are in great nick, even the old tubs. The owners have money left to maintain them because marina fees are only €200 a month for an 11m berth. That includes free careening on a washed and treated grid, unlimited electricity, water, security, free checks on your boat while you're away, free moving your boat if it needs it, free docking assistance if required, free wifi, free unlimited parking for your crew, free supermarket pickup and drop off, and they're happy if you liveaboard. Lift and 72h on the hard is 200 bucks.

I don't care how you slice it. Akl Marinas are grotesquely overpriced and under delivering in terms of service. How many boats are sitting unmaintained on marina berths because ALL the owners spare cash is going into the monthly fee instead of maintaining the boat/ antifoul etc?

Was in France 2 weeks ago and checked out the local marina which is claimed to be the biggest in the med it is about 50% bigger than westhaven . Was very surprised to see some of the biggest private boats on the planet on one side of the marina and the other side had literally 100s of sub 30 foot yachts and trailer yachts of very pedestrian design and value with the odd pogo here and there .

The dock setup was really different and way simpler than here (cheaper?) , wide modular plastic dock with no fingers or piles between berths and boats stern to the dock , bows were tied off to two mooring lines per boat that were attached to a massive chain running parallel to the dock on the sea floor . The bow lines were long enough to be tied off to the dock when not in use . Even in the budget part of the marina there was power and water every 5-6 metres and by budget imagine Noelex 22s and Tasman 20s etc . The most surprising thing was that Monaco was only 10 or so miles up the coast and Cannes 5 miles the other way yet it’s afforable to keep a 5 grand trailer yacht in a great marina . I’m thinking our marinas are overbuilt and the space is under utilised and the rental is far-ken unrealistic

Dont think anyone looks forward to that day unless it is brought on by Health , divorce etc when it is the only option forward.

Saying goodbye to a boat that has given one a lot of good memories is always going to be a tough day...

Sympathy :)

Unfortunately you are one of many, I am seriously contemplating downsizing - still have my old boat, and getting rid of the Westhaven bill would be very attractive, the marina is really only for people who dont work or dont have to now. Two years ago in Cowes I priced up hauling a First 45 clean and launch after one week on the hard, convert to Kiwi$ and it was 1/3 of doing the same at Orams. we have too many layers off landlords taking a cut from Westhaven, I too noticed all the modest boats on marinas last year in Honfleur. Its like Parnell gone large on the land so not a down trodden area, a struggle to get a park for my old girl (car)  between the Mclarens and Porches  .

Bit rough on Kevin. If he wasn't doing the job someone else would. Panuku,ACC,Guvmit are responsible for this trampling of the underdog(s). As stated all boaties are rich beyond description in the eyes of most non boaties. Perhaps a bit of openness,honesty,transparency and understanding of how the other 90% live would help. Fat chance !

ACA, thats like a fisherman saying if he does not take all the fish, someone else will. Still wrong.

Agreed. Sadly stories like this are symptomatic of NZ service culture which in my opinion is trending worse not better in many sectors - marine included - leading to a culture of “Fleece your customers not service them.” A kiwi friend recently returned to NZ after several years overseas and he said to me “What’s happened to NZ? I don’t want to upset my Kiwi friends but I’m really shocked by the change since I’ve been away?” I’m a dual citizen Brit-Kiwi so he felt more comfortable raising it with me.

After 18 years of owning Priscilla it has sold and passed to new owner.

Crikey which twit stated that the 2 best days of boat ownership are the first purchase date and the sale date.

Feel like a stunned mullet.

However at $650 pm berth rate I had to admit financial defeat so thanks Kevin Lidgard and Co for the unsustainably unaffordable parking option for our princess that inversely was responsible for directly driving down the value of our long held family adventure machine.

Off to have a rum or ten.

After the lost of ours 2 yrs ago I have no intention of running off to by a vessel, boat ownership (maintenance paint,motor sails etc) have just got out of hand in NZ.  Condolences to you "Priscilla" there will be more in the coming months as we head for another economic slump.

• Upvote 1

Do understand that it is not JUST Westhaven that are charging large chunks.

My Wifes brother lives in Austria. He has lived their for some time now and comes home every few years to visit. He now complains every time he visits at how expensive NZ has become.

• Upvote 1

Do understand that it is not JUST Westhaven that are charging large chunks.

My Wifes brother lives in Austria. He has lived their for some time now and comes home every few years to visit. He now complains every time he visits at how expensive NZ has become.

Likewise, Switzerland makes NZ look damn expensive.

Was in France 2 weeks ago and checked out the local marina which is claimed to be the biggest in the med it is about 50% bigger than westhaven . Was very surprised to see some of the biggest private boats on the planet on one side of the marina and the other side had literally 100s of sub 30 foot yachts and trailer yachts of very pedestrian design and value with the odd pogo here and there .

The dock setup was really different and way simpler than here (cheaper?) , wide modular plastic dock with no fingers or piles between berths and boats stern to the dock , bows were tied off to two mooring lines per boat that were attached to a massive chain running parallel to the dock on the sea floor . The bow lines were long enough to be tied off to the dock when not in use . Even in the budget part of the marina there was power and water every 5-6 metres and by budget imagine Noelex 22s and Tasman 20s etc . The most surprising thing was that Monaco was only 10 or so miles up the coast and Cannes 5 miles the other way yet it’s afforable to keep a 5 grand trailer yacht in a great marina . I’m thinking our marinas are overbuilt and the space is under utilised and the rental is far-ken unrealistic

In our marina, everyone gets a finger. Finger is 9m long, but i've seen the other kind of stern-to setup with the forward mooring lines - usually in the Med. 

It's not that the weather is more benign and the marina is built more lightly. There are 7m tides and 2-4 50-60knt blows per winter where we are.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wqf3znpb4Xzup5Ts8

You can even see Peter Blake St., just there on the left...

Bit rough on Kevin. If he wasn't doing the job someone else would. Panuku,ACC,Guvmit are responsible for this trampling of the underdog(s). As stated all boaties are rich beyond description in the eyes of most non boaties. Perhaps a bit of openness,honesty,transparency and understanding of how the other 90% live would help. Fat chance !

Bit ruff on Kevin Lidgard bullshit.

In his own words it was his personal call to ratchet the berth rates that tipped us to sell.

BP you are most right with your comment about the poor state of the local marine service industry.

Got a friend who has been absolutely rodgered by a prominent Auckland marine company in Beaumont St so much so that it has wiped out any interest in retaining ownership of their long term adventure machine.

Complete absolute muppets accepting no responsibility and charging like wounded bulls to erode any confidence my friends had that their craft had been sorted and was fit for purpose on the high seas.

It is only out of courtesy to them that I will not name the company but it is absolutely appalling the way they have been treated.

Couldn't even sell mine just swapped it for a 4wd,hopefully that's easier to sell.Shes a rich man's game owning a yacht now. Unfortunately I think the golden years of cruising are gone in NZ to many rules and regulations.Am selling everything and moving down west coast.

• Upvote 1