Sold Boat

Oh that is sad. Sorry you have joined my Club. Maybe IT is going to have to create a Forum for us "have been" boat owners where we can reminisce and tell stories.[/quote

Wheels I am with you.

Had 18 years of great family times adventures beyond description.

Sailing for us has always been a microcosm of life in general great lulls of peace and serenity closely coupled with intense chaotic storms and tempests.

However the storms do pass and the sun does shine.

I grew up on the sea and it is so intrinsically woven into my DNA but I am not going to compromise the financial well being of my whanau to fill the coffers of Panuku.

Crikey Armchair if you had got of your tuffet and journeyed to the last rare public outing of the Panuku road show at the Ponsonby Cruising Club you could have witnessed the petulant arrogance of Kevin in full flight.

He has assumed by default Tom Warrens role and I will tell you that contrary to his families boating historical contribution you smell and feel the building of a personal fiefdom which is business as usual behaviour for Panuku.

• Upvote 2

Sheesh, you lot are making me pleased that I just ventured back down traileryacht terrace.

I've still got a mooring, but it's probably best removed, having suffered multiple failures since the last service/overhaul.

At least now I'm mostly just concerned with wheel bearings.

Really sorry to hear that people are being priced out of their recreation activities.

Westhaven and other marinas,simple really ,You own a vessel want walk on walk off,You pay!  End of story. 

Often wonder around looking various vessels shapes n size on marinas,some get used most sit there as a status symbol,some neglected why would you pay the exorbitant fees? But as mooring areas disappear and the insurance bites being on a mooring no wonder trademe is full of give aways.

Yet the one area that seems stable is the trailer fizzy,take home little maintaince motor service $500? 

Got asked a week ago to go for a sail on trailer sailor,take boat to ramp,rig up 3hrs sailing,unrig take home 10hr day for what?maybe if there were compounds to leave rigged but At $300pm another killer + muck around at ramp, 

So is yachtshare/syndicate the way to go ?

Westhaven and other marinas,simple really ,You own a vessel want walk on walk off,You pay!  End of story. 

Often wonder around looking various vessels shapes n size on marinas,some get used most sit there as a status symbol,some neglected why would you pay the exorbitant fees? But as mooring areas disappear and the insurance bites being on a mooring no wonder trademe is full of give aways.

Yet the one area that seems stable is the trailer fizzy,take home little maintaince motor service $500? 

Got asked a week ago to go for a sail on trailer sailor,take boat to ramp,rig up 3hrs sailing,unrig take home 10hr day for what?maybe if there were compounds to leave rigged but At $300pm another killer + muck around at ramp, 

So is yachtshare/syndicate the way to go ?

Westhaven is different to other marinas.  Set up by the people, for the people.  Last I looked, Panuku is a company owned by the council, not a private enterprise.  

Marina rates should be half of what they are now, seeing as we already all pay council rates.

The council should be taken to court and hammered over how they treat berth owners / rental lessees with their yearly increases.  But who has the money or time to do that?

• Upvote 1

You don't have to take them to court ! You have an opportunity to vote in representatives that will control Panuku et al via SoCI and KPI's. Good luck with that but it's what those who promote democratic process would have you believe can happen. Not in the supershitty.It's divide and rule and it works

• Upvote 1

Got a friend who has been absolutely rodgered by a prominent Auckland marine company in Beaumont St so much so that it has wiped out any interest in retaining ownership of their long term adventure machine.

Complete absolute muppets accepting no responsibility and charging like wounded bulls to erode any confidence my friends had that their craft had been sorted and was fit for purpose on the high seas.

It is only out of courtesy to them that I will not name the company but it is absolutely appalling the way they have been treated.

This quote could be a cut & paste from my recent experience.

Westhaven is different to other marinas.  Set up by the people, for the people.  Last I looked, Panuku is a company owned by the council, not a private enterprise.  

Marina rates should be half of what they are now, seeing as we already all pay council rates.

The council should be taken to court and hammered over how they treat berth owners / rental lessees with their yearly increases.  But who has the money or time to do that?

Went to a meeting regarding fish stocks and the ACT leader David Seymour stood up and said"we are all rich pricks and we need to pay" really David include mum/dad with a 12 ft tinny rich compared to multi million $$ vessel at westhaven,

Unfortunately you are seen as a cash cow, 2000 odd berths rally together and pay 1/2 the fee,what are they going to do then?

How many berth holders actually attend any meetings?

Westhaven and other marinas,simple really ,You own a vessel want walk on walk off,You pay! End of story.

Really HT?? There is a line between fair price and rip off and many Marinas have gone well over that line.

As have supermarkets and probably a bunch of other industries.

Really HT?? There is a line between fair price and rip off and many Marinas have gone well over that line.

As have supermarkets and probably a bunch of other industries.

exactly "Wheels"hence why lamb is off the menu $45 for a scraggly leg,Owning a vessel is deemed a luxury not a necessity.

Have a look on T/M project boats  boats with low or no reserves where as mid 90s they would of been 30k+ now $15k. Nz marine industry has shot it self as wages have not risen to compensate.   Do you buy new sails or 2nd hand have them recut but are you buying sails not much better than you already have. replace a small 10hp diesel fitted etc $14 k or go the outboard way??

Hah, don’t fret HT the bonanza trickle down from Daltons Dandies will ride sorry scythe over the horizon and remedy and return bucket loads of loot to the local coffers so much so that Panuku will then cease and desist from rodgering their owners the public .

Crikey it’s a weird world and as Mate’ so aptly commented it’s is the small guy the lesser fish that gets whacked the most.

Hence the conversion of half of J pier to sales berths for brokers.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear Priscilla. It was the same for me with the Marshall. Marina fees killed it.

Westhaven service is ok to average but their toilet and shower facilities are abysmal compared to what you get overseas.

In terms of getting screwed service wise, the treatment I got up at Gulf Harbour when I put a new keel and prod on the Marshall (by the marina, not Brin Wilson, who were great) beggars belief. It was theft, out and out. You want to store a mast on the hard? You pay equivalent rates to storing a boat of that length.. (Or pretty close). Unreal. Rude and arrogant.

I think you will be the first of many, sadly.

Many I know are seriously considering selling or have sold due to the inverse relationship between ever rising marina costs and their boats sliding value included in that mix is costly and dodgy marine related service providers.

Panuku Herbert & Speedy Inc are not the only marine related mafia operators out there.

I tackle most boat related tasks myself and reach for electrical assistance from Waterfront Electrical,covers etc from Boat Cover Co next door and sails from yes Doyle’s.

Never had any dramas received great service and used for many many moons.

Crikey talk to less practically resourceful / skilled boating associates and their tales of horror woe and disaster are truely a sad indictment on the marine service providers they have paid for professional assistance from.

Price gouging is my pet hate and plonk your princess on the Floating Dock Pier21 or Orams and wow every year the bill grows more than Pinocchio’s nose.